IT'S that time of the year again. Yes, it's time to start thinking about making your Christmas pudding.
How the year has flown by and before we know it we will be in 2012.
I know that there are many who wouldn't think of not presenting a home cooked Christmas pud on the 25th December but for the majority grabbing a commercially made one, this is as good as it gets.
I have to say that if you have ever eaten a home made one you would never go back to the store bought ones.
The taste is so different and what I really enjoy is unveiling the pudding to our guests with pride saying "I made this".
Christmas pudding is high in fat at around 12g of fat per serve but don't forget to add the big dollop of whipped cream and scoop of ice cream. I can feel the indigestion kicking in.
The good news is I have the solution so hopefully I can tempt you into giving my recipe a go.
Not only do you get to have a tasty dessert on Christmas day but it's healthy too.
Even people with diabetes can enjoy a slice, but remember don't go back for seconds.
Here are some tips:
- Most people say they're put off making a pudding because it looks too complicated using the cloth which is the traditional way to make a Chrissie Pud. I prefer to use a metal pudding tin as it is so much easier. You can buy these in most kitchen stores.
- Make the pudding on a day that you will be home for a few hours as they can take several hours to cook. You will also need to be there to top up the boiler with water so that the pot doesn't boil dry.
- I like to make mine about a month before and then leave it in the fridge in the tin covered. You can also freeze the pudding if you wish to make it earlier. Making it before it gets too hot is not a silly idea either.
- Making my low fat version is easy. Just follow my recipe in Symply Too Good To Be True 3, it's just as easy as making a fruit cake so give it a go and I bet you will be glad you did.
- What to serve with your pudding? Make some low fat custard with skim milk. Peters Light n Creamy low fat ice-cream is ideal or make my Symply Sweet Cream in book 3. If you must have cream use Dairy Whip Lite.
Annette's cookbooks Symply Too Good To Be True Books 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies.
Also, obtain your free copy of Annette's Christmas Survival Guide eBook at http://www.symplytoogood.com.au/Christmas_eBook.
Christmas Pudding- Recipe from Symply Too Good To Be True, Book 2
Makes 16 servings
- 7 slices multigrain bread (crumble including crusts)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 cups (500g) mixed fruit
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices
- ½ cup rum or brandy
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ cup apple sauce (in jar)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon Parisian essence (optional)
- 1¼ cups plain flour
Put breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl, heat milk until hot, then pour over breadcrumbs, stir together until really mushy and bread has absorbed all the milk.
Add in mixed fruit, spices and rum/brandy, mix together well.
Beat egg whites into mixture well.
Mix bicarb soda with apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
Stir in mashed banana and Parisian essence (this will make a darker pudding).
Fold in flour and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Pour into a 19cm x 9 cm pudding steamer that has been sprayed with cooking spray, spray lid as well. Secure lid.
Put a saucer turned upside down into boiler, put pudding dish on top of saucer and fill with boiling water which reaches ¾ of the way up the steamer.
Steam in a covered boiler simmering for 4 hours. Check water level occasionally, top up if needed.
To reheat place in boiler for 1 hour before serving.
823 (cals 196)
A special occasion pudding that is low in fat but high in carbohydrate and kilojoules. The whole family will enjoy this at Christmastime.
Located in a quiet cul-de-sac in rural view and with a natural reserve park as a neighbour, his home is sure to impress. You will feel at home immediately as you...
The owner is wanting to move on so is meeting market with this modern refurbished unit. Good buying for the first home buyer, easy walking distance to the city for...
Situated on the banks of Nebo Creek just 10 minutes west of Nebo and under an hour to Mackay is this 50 level usable acres. Comfortable lowset 6 year old home of 4...
Queenslander charm and street appeal and sitting pretty behind a picket fence, this home presents a great starter for the buyer who wants to add their own style...
9,879m2 of beach frontage land under 10 minutes to Sarina & not even 5 minutes to the new boat ramp at Freshwater Point on sealed roads. Level to gently undulating...
Modern home decorated throughout with modern, neutral colours. With 4 built-in bedrooms, master bedroom with ensuite and spacious walk-in robe. Air-conditioned...
- Large family home set on an elevated 758sqm block. Great location only minutes away from Northern Beaches Shopping Centre, schools and the beach. - 5 generous...
Located in the heart of Mount Pleasant is this well presented home which would make an ideal starter for those entering the market or for the investor looking...
Conveniently located in North Mackay is this 3 bedroom brick home situated on a spacious 980m2 allotment. A renovated kitchen is one of the striking features of...
A standout on the street for all the right reasons. Spread stylishly over a single level this home is sure to impress. The fully air-conditioned home opens to an...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.