IT'S that time of the year again. Yes, it's time to start thinking about making your Christmas pudding.
How the year has flown by and before we know it we will be in 2012.
I know that there are many who wouldn't think of not presenting a home cooked Christmas pud on the 25th December but for the majority grabbing a commercially made one, this is as good as it gets.
I have to say that if you have ever eaten a home made one you would never go back to the store bought ones.
The taste is so different and what I really enjoy is unveiling the pudding to our guests with pride saying "I made this".
Christmas pudding is high in fat at around 12g of fat per serve but don't forget to add the big dollop of whipped cream and scoop of ice cream. I can feel the indigestion kicking in.
The good news is I have the solution so hopefully I can tempt you into giving my recipe a go.
Not only do you get to have a tasty dessert on Christmas day but it's healthy too.
Even people with diabetes can enjoy a slice, but remember don't go back for seconds.
Here are some tips:
- Most people say they're put off making a pudding because it looks too complicated using the cloth which is the traditional way to make a Chrissie Pud. I prefer to use a metal pudding tin as it is so much easier. You can buy these in most kitchen stores.
- Make the pudding on a day that you will be home for a few hours as they can take several hours to cook. You will also need to be there to top up the boiler with water so that the pot doesn't boil dry.
- I like to make mine about a month before and then leave it in the fridge in the tin covered. You can also freeze the pudding if you wish to make it earlier. Making it before it gets too hot is not a silly idea either.
- Making my low fat version is easy. Just follow my recipe in Symply Too Good To Be True 3, it's just as easy as making a fruit cake so give it a go and I bet you will be glad you did.
- What to serve with your pudding? Make some low fat custard with skim milk. Peters Light n Creamy low fat ice-cream is ideal or make my Symply Sweet Cream in book 3. If you must have cream use Dairy Whip Lite.
Annette's cookbooks Symply Too Good To Be True Books 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies.
Also, obtain your free copy of Annette's Christmas Survival Guide eBook at http://www.symplytoogood.com.au/Christmas_eBook.
Christmas Pudding- Recipe from Symply Too Good To Be True, Book 2
Makes 16 servings
- 7 slices multigrain bread (crumble including crusts)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 cups (500g) mixed fruit
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices
- ½ cup rum or brandy
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ cup apple sauce (in jar)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon Parisian essence (optional)
- 1¼ cups plain flour
Put breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl, heat milk until hot, then pour over breadcrumbs, stir together until really mushy and bread has absorbed all the milk.
Add in mixed fruit, spices and rum/brandy, mix together well.
Beat egg whites into mixture well.
Mix bicarb soda with apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
Stir in mashed banana and Parisian essence (this will make a darker pudding).
Fold in flour and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Pour into a 19cm x 9 cm pudding steamer that has been sprayed with cooking spray, spray lid as well. Secure lid.
Put a saucer turned upside down into boiler, put pudding dish on top of saucer and fill with boiling water which reaches ¾ of the way up the steamer.
Steam in a covered boiler simmering for 4 hours. Check water level occasionally, top up if needed.
To reheat place in boiler for 1 hour before serving.
823 (cals 196)
A special occasion pudding that is low in fat but high in carbohydrate and kilojoules. The whole family will enjoy this at Christmastime.
The view from the Penthouse at “Nelsons on the River” overlooking the Pioneer River, ocean and Mackay city is one you'll never get tired of. This...
Capturing perfect views over the breakwater & marina this three bedroom unit offers the buyer to secure a foothold on the property at Mackay Harbour Marina. - 3...
Impressive from the street, this unique fully air-conditioned residence promises to impress with both style and function. The open plan design is fused with light...
This exclusive property presents the discerning acreage buyer an exceptionally rare lifestyle opportunity. Sprawling over a private 2.373Ha (approx. 6 acres) and...
Neat lowset 3 bedroom cottage located in a very peaceful rural setting just 20 mins drive from Mackay CBD and under 10 mins to all the conveniences Walkerston has...
This luxurious and stylish display home is 'Brand New' and abounds in contemporary features. Set on a 746 sq m block, the residence has a 260 sq m floor plan that...
This well known West Mackay property has been placed on the market and now represents a unique opportunity to wide range of potential buyers to secure a slice of...
Enjoy the quiet life of the country while being an easy 15 minutes from Mackay and only 5 minutes from the town of Walkerston. This perfectly presented brick home...
Located a leisurely 30 minute drive from Mackay and within close proximity to major coal ports sits this unit which offers beachside living at its best. Property...
Rare opportunity to purchase this sensational rural retreat which offers unsurpassed views of Mackay and District. This 27 acre property is beautifully located in...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.