WITH the devastating floods affecting thousands of people in the south of our State, many Whitsunday residents have to come together to show their support.
The collection for the flood appeal, co-ordinated by the Rotary Club of Airlie Beach, has raised about $42,000.
These funds came from the bucket collection over five days at the three local shopping centres, shop counter collections and donations from businesses.
If people or businesses still wish to donate to the appeal, they can contact club administrator Dalwyn McErlane on 0408 461 192.
Funds raised are being distributed both through the Premier's Flood Relief Appeal and through the Rotary organisation in the affected districts.
The buck doesn't stop with Rotary though as other Whitsunday organisations and individuals are also supporting the cause.
Supporting flood victims
- Accommodation providers have donated $180,000 worth of rooms to people who may now be homeless. To continue to donate, contact Tourism Whitsundays on 4948 5900.
- Big 4 Adventure Whitsunday Resort is donating the profits from any of the paid guest activities throughout the school holidays to the Queensland flood appeal.
- PRDnationwide Whitsundays will donate $500 for every contract signed between now and the end of February.
- Skal Whitsundays is holding a ‘school days' themed progressive dinner which will include auctions and raffles on Saturday, February 12 at Waterline on Shingley and Capers in Airlie Beach. Tickets are $50 (limited) and are available at NewsXpress Newsagency in Airlie Beach or Whitsunday Dive Adventures. Contact Kim Crossley on 0428 791 131 or Katrina Daley on 0407 583 093.
- Anyone wishing to donate to the South-East Queensland Equine Aid Appeal may drop off at Hoof & Horn Produce & Saddlery on the Bruce Highway, Proserpine. The collection is being sent on Friday to Horse Deals who are going to distribute the items through the pony clubs, RSPCA and shelters.
- Club Croc Long Island Resort is holding an open day to raise money on Sunday, June 30.
- Some proceeds from Australia Day celebrations at Club Croc Airlie Beach will go towards the flood appeal.
- Some of the ticket proceeds from the Australia Day Pool Party at Dive HQ will help food victims down south.
- Magnums Hotel will pass collections buckets around during their Australia Day celebrations.
- Whitsunday Water Police senior constable Brett Norris is asking residents to donate new toiletries, linen, pillows, useable furniture and toys that can be placed in the shipping container at the Whitsunday PCYC. Contact Whitsunday PCYC on 4948 1144 for more information.
- Goodness Gracious in Cannonvale has already collected about 100 items of school supplies to help children to start the new school year. To donate more contact store owner Helen Pike on 4948 0637.
- Proserpine residents Shinade Barr and Jessica Davies are looking for more volunteers to help them sort through all the items that been kindly donated to them at Centro by Whitsunday residents. They have so much stuff they are only really asking for cleaning products now. To help in anyway please contact Shinade on 0467 061 235.
- Whitsunday Game Fish Club fishing competition this weekend. Entry is $10 for adults, $5 for children or $25 for the whole family. Call 0414 354 570 for more information.
Located approximately 20kms from Sarina on the Old Marlborough Highway sits this potential filled property which is your chance for a real bargain. Property...
Two lots of approximately 100 acres each to choose from less than 45 minutes to Mackay at Koumala. Ideal rural lifestyle lots, level and easy to farm. All the hard...
This 744 sqm allotment is situated within the secure gated Residential Estate in the Mackay Marina Precinct. Building is well advanced in the estate with prestige...
Elevated to capture the breezes and view, this home offers a family lifestyle to be envied. The well-appointed kitchen has good cupboard space, walk-in pantry, gas...
Exceptionally well presented small grazing proposition of 202 acres of mostly all cleared and pastured country. Frontages to the tidal Murray and Jollimont Creeks.
This charming and lovingly maintained residence is set on a 800sqm block and is walking distance to the Mount Pleasant Shopping Centre. The fully tiled home is...
Set on an elevated 787 m2 block with panoramic views from the Mackay Harbour to Rural View, this well maintained family home offers spacious living in a superb...
This home in sought after Ooralea has been carefully designed with meticulous attention to detail, innovation and the use of quality materials and fixtures...
This impeccably maintained 3 Bedroom Townhouse presents as a perfect holiday retreat or residence for full time living. Imagine how good it could be living...
Located on a spacious 827 sqm block in the heart of Marian, you will find this 5 bedroom family home. Its striking entrance immediately gets your attention as...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.