WITH the devastating floods affecting thousands of people in the south of our State, many Whitsunday residents have to come together to show their support.
The collection for the flood appeal, co-ordinated by the Rotary Club of Airlie Beach, has raised about $42,000.
These funds came from the bucket collection over five days at the three local shopping centres, shop counter collections and donations from businesses.
If people or businesses still wish to donate to the appeal, they can contact club administrator Dalwyn McErlane on 0408 461 192.
Funds raised are being distributed both through the Premier's Flood Relief Appeal and through the Rotary organisation in the affected districts.
The buck doesn't stop with Rotary though as other Whitsunday organisations and individuals are also supporting the cause.
Supporting flood victims
- Accommodation providers have donated $180,000 worth of rooms to people who may now be homeless. To continue to donate, contact Tourism Whitsundays on 4948 5900.
- Big 4 Adventure Whitsunday Resort is donating the profits from any of the paid guest activities throughout the school holidays to the Queensland flood appeal.
- PRDnationwide Whitsundays will donate $500 for every contract signed between now and the end of February.
- Skal Whitsundays is holding a ‘school days' themed progressive dinner which will include auctions and raffles on Saturday, February 12 at Waterline on Shingley and Capers in Airlie Beach. Tickets are $50 (limited) and are available at NewsXpress Newsagency in Airlie Beach or Whitsunday Dive Adventures. Contact Kim Crossley on 0428 791 131 or Katrina Daley on 0407 583 093.
- Anyone wishing to donate to the South-East Queensland Equine Aid Appeal may drop off at Hoof & Horn Produce & Saddlery on the Bruce Highway, Proserpine. The collection is being sent on Friday to Horse Deals who are going to distribute the items through the pony clubs, RSPCA and shelters.
- Club Croc Long Island Resort is holding an open day to raise money on Sunday, June 30.
- Some proceeds from Australia Day celebrations at Club Croc Airlie Beach will go towards the flood appeal.
- Some of the ticket proceeds from the Australia Day Pool Party at Dive HQ will help food victims down south.
- Magnums Hotel will pass collections buckets around during their Australia Day celebrations.
- Whitsunday Water Police senior constable Brett Norris is asking residents to donate new toiletries, linen, pillows, useable furniture and toys that can be placed in the shipping container at the Whitsunday PCYC. Contact Whitsunday PCYC on 4948 1144 for more information.
- Goodness Gracious in Cannonvale has already collected about 100 items of school supplies to help children to start the new school year. To donate more contact store owner Helen Pike on 4948 0637.
- Proserpine residents Shinade Barr and Jessica Davies are looking for more volunteers to help them sort through all the items that been kindly donated to them at Centro by Whitsunday residents. They have so much stuff they are only really asking for cleaning products now. To help in anyway please contact Shinade on 0467 061 235.
- Whitsunday Game Fish Club fishing competition this weekend. Entry is $10 for adults, $5 for children or $25 for the whole family. Call 0414 354 570 for more information.
This large, neat and tidy 3 bedroom townhouse provides an ideal stepping stone into the local Whitsunday market. The unit is only one of six in the complex and is...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.