THE Whitsunday Regional Council has sent a submission to the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) regarding the over-spend of funds from the 2010 Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) program.
At a press conference at the council offices in Proserpine on Tuesday, Mayor Jennifer Whitney confirmed a submission had been lodged about the program.
She gave no further details about the Council's submission but said she had previously gone to the CMC about the way former Council was spending flood recovery money.
She confirmed this was when Mike Brunker was mayor and said the CMC had found no fault at the time.
"Those things are now back under investigation with another scenario," she said.
Cr Whitney said that under the previous council, flood damage was kept "very close to the chest of the upper management".
Former mayor Mike Brunker said yesterday he had always suspected Cr Whitney had sent a previous submission to the CMC.
"I suspected her but I could not prove it," he said.
He said the CMC operated under confidentiality and they never disclosed who made the complaints.
He said there was a lot of difference between maladministration and misappropriation and that this seemed more like an audit issue.
However, he said he was happy it was being sent somewhere because then people who know what's happened would be able to have their say.
"She's never asked the engineers to explain," he said.
"The people who she's sacked might now be able to defend themselves," he said.
Mr Brunker said that at the moment at least one person involved had been "shut up by a confidentiality clause".
Local Real Estate
Whitsundays jobs listed daily
Feature your local job listings here today. Call 1300 136 181 or
Post Your Ad