WITH the public health system unable to assist, Proserpine resident Linda Sayers is turning to the Whitsunday community for help. Mrs Sayers' husband Shane, 38, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in the corpus collossum region of his brain on December 1, 2011. After two weeks in hospital in Townsville the family was told by surgeons they would not operate unless he was to lose "all quality of life".
Mr Sayers has already been placed on a disability allowance and told he cannot work or drive again. He suffers from blackouts, headaches, nausea and severe pain. Mrs Sayers says this is not what you would call a "quality of life" and that if her husband does not have the surgery he will eventually die.
"Shane dying is not an option. He is only 38 [and] we have two small children aged four and six," she said.
Mr and Mrs Sayers decided to seek a second opinion, travelling to Sydney for an appointment with renowned neurosurgeon Dr Charles Teo, who says he is willing and able to perform the operation Mr Sayers needs - but at a $60,000 cost. Mrs Sayers says Dr Teo, who has been criticised by his medical peers, is not allowed to operate in a public hospital therefore the surgery must be performed in a private hospital at Randwick, Sydney.
"Unfortunately Queensland Health will not pay New South Wales Health for Shane's treatment. So far our family has been able to help us with $6000 but will still need another $54,000 for the surgery and then another $2000 for travel and accommodation," she said.
Mrs Sayers, who is also juggling work, family and study says she has "never done a fundraiser in my life".
"I don't even know where to start," she said.
"I kind of feel like I'm in over my head, but I have to do this. We've got little children and Shane's only young. I can't let him die."
Any individuals or organisations willing to help are asked to contact Linda Sayers on 0466 980 331.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.