FOR anyone wishing to lose weight or go on a healthy diet, salads are normally an important part of meal times.
Salads are not eaten as much in the colder months but with summer now here, salads will be in more demand.
Salad ingredients have little if any fat and are low in kilojoules, which means they can be eaten as often and as much as you like.
It is recommended that we have five serves of vegetables a day, so having a large salad at lunch or with dinner will easily help you to reach your daily requirements.
To keep salads healthy and low in fat means some ingredients may need to be used in smaller amounts or avoided altogether.
Here are some of the ingredients that can make a salad high in fat and my suggestions on how to make healthier:
- High fat mayonnaises and dressings - Instead use 97% fat free mayonnaises and no oil dressing.
- Nuts - Use sparingly on salads. Even though nuts are good for you they are high in fat and need to be eaten in small amounts. Dry roast raw nuts as this gives them more flavour, which means you need less.
- Avocado - Just like nuts avocado is a healthy addition to a salad but be careful as avocados are high in fat.
- Cheese or eggs - High in saturated fat so need to be used sparingly or use reduced fat cheeses.
- Oil - Most salad dressings use oil as their base ingredients so either choose the low or no oil dressings available or use sparingly. Virgin olive oil is the healthiest of all oils to use on salads. For cooking use sunflower oil.
- Fried Croutons - A popular addition to a salad especially Caesar. My best tip here is to make your own as they are normally fried and high in fat. Toast bread slices, then cut into squares. Bake in oven until dried, a much lower fat option.
Some other options that go great in a salad bowl are sliced fresh mushrooms (there are several types of sprouts now available), salad onion or shallots, corn kernels, mung beans, washed canned kidney beans, slices of carrot and celery sticks, capsicum, diced apple or sultanas.
There are several types of lettuces which can give a salad a different look, or slice some green or red cabbage through the mix. I like using English spinach instead of lettuce just for a change every now and then.
Annette's cookbooks Symply Too Good To Be True Books 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies.
Also, obtain your free copy of Annette's Christmas Survival Guide eBook at http://www.symplytoogood.com.au/Christmas_eBook.
Bacon Egg and Potato Salad- Recipe from Symply Too Good To Be True, Book 6
SERVES: 8 as a side dish
- 3 eggs
- 1 kilo new potatoes
- cooking spray
- 150g 97% fat-free bacon short cuts diced
- ½ cup 97% fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seeded mustard
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- ½ cup red onion small dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Boil eggs for 10 minutes then rinse under cold water. Leave to cool.
Wash potatoes and cut in quarters leaving skin on.
Microwave in a little water on high for 15 minutes or until just cooked but still firm.
Drain well then place into a large mixing bowl to cool. Coat a non-stick frypan with cooking spray and sauté bacon until browned.
Add all ingredients to bowl except eggs.
Gently fold ingredients together, being careful not to break up potato. Peel and cut eggs into quarters then gently fold through mixture.
Refrigerate until required.
Not suitable to be frozen.
627 (cals 150)
Note from Annette
Just saying the title of this recipe makes me hungry. Another interesting way to enjoy potato salad that is a little different from the recipes I have in Book 2 and Book 4.
Using 97% fat-free bacon and low-fat mayonnaise makes this a low-fat and low-calorie salad. It is ideal for weight reduction eating plans and people with diabetes.
If you're looking for an extremely well presented, modern home with great side access and knockout shed then look no further. Just 6 years old, this 4 bedroom low...
Truly a contemporary masterpiece!!! A unique residence, just 10 minutes from Mackays' CBD. Perched at the top of a 3,384m2 hill top position. Peace, comfort and...
This riverside apartment boasts three bedrooms, two bathrooms, gourmet kitchen, and a delightful open plan living area with stunning views. The main bedroom has a...
Mostly lightly timbered open forest with a good coverage of pangola and signal grass. Some cleared or selectively cleared country including creek flat. Boundary...
If it's a project you're looking for, this great home in South Mackay on 607m2 offers an abundance of potential and is the perfect opportunity to add value and...
Watch 'The Block'? Now is your chance to get your hands dirty and create your dream home or investment opportunity at an entry level price! Located on a large...
From the moment you step across the threshold you get the feeling of easy elegance in this 2009 built 4 bedroom family home. Quality at every turn has produced a...
Epitomising stylish acreage living, this extensive property offers stunning ocean and rural views with the peace and quiet of the bush. Set on 32 acres (12.95...
This neat and tidy 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom and 1 car accommodation unit offers its new owner a quiet, peaceful retreat close to all major facilities. Why pay rent or...
- Large family home set on an elevated 758sqm block. Great location only minutes away from Northern Beaches Shopping Centre, schools and the beach. - 5 generous...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.