FOR anyone wishing to lose weight or go on a healthy diet, salads are normally an important part of meal times.
Salads are not eaten as much in the colder months but with summer now here, salads will be in more demand.
Salad ingredients have little if any fat and are low in kilojoules, which means they can be eaten as often and as much as you like.
It is recommended that we have five serves of vegetables a day, so having a large salad at lunch or with dinner will easily help you to reach your daily requirements.
To keep salads healthy and low in fat means some ingredients may need to be used in smaller amounts or avoided altogether.
Here are some of the ingredients that can make a salad high in fat and my suggestions on how to make healthier:
- High fat mayonnaises and dressings - Instead use 97% fat free mayonnaises and no oil dressing.
- Nuts - Use sparingly on salads. Even though nuts are good for you they are high in fat and need to be eaten in small amounts. Dry roast raw nuts as this gives them more flavour, which means you need less.
- Avocado - Just like nuts avocado is a healthy addition to a salad but be careful as avocados are high in fat.
- Cheese or eggs - High in saturated fat so need to be used sparingly or use reduced fat cheeses.
- Oil - Most salad dressings use oil as their base ingredients so either choose the low or no oil dressings available or use sparingly. Virgin olive oil is the healthiest of all oils to use on salads. For cooking use sunflower oil.
- Fried Croutons - A popular addition to a salad especially Caesar. My best tip here is to make your own as they are normally fried and high in fat. Toast bread slices, then cut into squares. Bake in oven until dried, a much lower fat option.
Some other options that go great in a salad bowl are sliced fresh mushrooms (there are several types of sprouts now available), salad onion or shallots, corn kernels, mung beans, washed canned kidney beans, slices of carrot and celery sticks, capsicum, diced apple or sultanas.
There are several types of lettuces which can give a salad a different look, or slice some green or red cabbage through the mix. I like using English spinach instead of lettuce just for a change every now and then.
Annette's cookbooks Symply Too Good To Be True Books 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies.
Also, obtain your free copy of Annette's Christmas Survival Guide eBook at http://www.symplytoogood.com.au/Christmas_eBook.
Bacon Egg and Potato Salad- Recipe from Symply Too Good To Be True, Book 6
SERVES: 8 as a side dish
- 3 eggs
- 1 kilo new potatoes
- cooking spray
- 150g 97% fat-free bacon short cuts diced
- ½ cup 97% fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seeded mustard
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- ½ cup red onion small dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Boil eggs for 10 minutes then rinse under cold water. Leave to cool.
Wash potatoes and cut in quarters leaving skin on.
Microwave in a little water on high for 15 minutes or until just cooked but still firm.
Drain well then place into a large mixing bowl to cool. Coat a non-stick frypan with cooking spray and sauté bacon until browned.
Add all ingredients to bowl except eggs.
Gently fold ingredients together, being careful not to break up potato. Peel and cut eggs into quarters then gently fold through mixture.
Refrigerate until required.
Not suitable to be frozen.
627 (cals 150)
Note from Annette
Just saying the title of this recipe makes me hungry. Another interesting way to enjoy potato salad that is a little different from the recipes I have in Book 2 and Book 4.
Using 97% fat-free bacon and low-fat mayonnaise makes this a low-fat and low-calorie salad. It is ideal for weight reduction eating plans and people with diabetes.
This local icon is under new management and the current renovation program intends returning Kohuna to its former glory. Fronting the esplanade and a sandy beach...
Enjoy the quiet life of the country while being an easy 15 minutes from Mackay and only 5 minutes from the town of Walkerston. This perfectly presented brick home...
This exclusive property presents the discerning acreage buyer an exceptionally rare lifestyle opportunity. Sprawling over a private 2.373Ha (approx. 6 acres) and...
First time offered to the Mackay Marketplace. This executive residence is filled with natural light. Beyond its facade, the homes modern interior embraces clean...
Set in a highly desirable community location, only moments to all amenities and walking distance to schools. The modern residence presents flowing indoor/outdoor...
Classic yet contemporary this home offers the very best of open plan living in the tropics. Situated in a leafy enclave in Mount Pleasant, the elevated site...
With a 1,146spm elevated block looking out over rural view and a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom home this property is not to be missed. Light filled and catches the breezes...
This superbly crafted home was created without compromise in any area and is a credit to the visionary architect and builder. Offering secure access and privacy...
Occupying a very generously proportioned 1870m2 parcel of land, the sense of space across all scales of this home truly sets it apart from the rest. The 306m2...
Four bedrooms, two bathrooms, double lockable garage, rear patio and a large shed with side access. What more could you want??? This low set rendered block home...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.