"Melbourne, Australia – August 19, 2012: Kmart is an internationally recognised discount retailer. Here is the carpark and entrance to the 24 hour store in Burwood, Melbourne."

WARNING Graphic: $3 Kmart item puts girl, 5, in hospital

WARNING: Graphic

A mum has been left horrified after her young daughter was taken to hospital with a painful ear infection - claiming it resulted after she wore a $3 pair of Kmart earrings.

Chanelle Facaris had purchased the children's jewellery from the discount store for her five-year-old girl.

The Kindergarten student had worn the earrings for a week without any complaints or discomfort.

But when Ms Facaris was brushing her daughter's hair one day, the young girl told her she had lost an earring.

Upon closer inspection, the 23-year-old Sydney mother discovered the earring had become lodged in her daughter's earlobe.

 

A five-year-old girl had a $3 Kmart earring lodged in her earlobe. Picture: Facebook/KmartMums
A five-year-old girl had a $3 Kmart earring lodged in her earlobe. Picture: Facebook/KmartMums

In a worried Facebook post, the mother revealed she had to take her daughter to a hospital as she knew she wasn't able to remove it at home.

"This has never happened before with any other earring she has used," the mum wrote in a post shared to Kmart Mums.

"We only were using them temporarily until she gets new ones from the jeweller."

Describing the ordeal as a "horrible experience" for any five-year-old, Ms Facaris, later updated her post to warn others.

"My daughter is doing fine and if she ever wears earrings again I'll definitely be a lot more aware in future," Ms Facaris said.

"I do not blame Kmart for this, but hopefully leaving this post can help make as many parents aware as possible do it doesn't' happen to anyone else."

Her post was liked more than 2000 times with thousands of people leaving comments of similar situations caused by cheap earrings.

"Happened to my four year old a few months back," one woman said. "But with jewellery shop earrings. We put sleepers in and have told her she can only use them for a while. But I'm the same, I can only use really good quality earrings, any piercings really or they get infected."

 

Her mother, who doesn’t blame Kmart, posted about the ‘horrible’ experience on Facebook to warn other parents about purchasing cheap earings. Picture: Supplied
Her mother, who doesn’t blame Kmart, posted about the ‘horrible’ experience on Facebook to warn other parents about purchasing cheap earings. Picture: Supplied

Later, she described how the earring backing was "deeply embedded" into her skin of her daughter's earlobe.

"It looked so painful," she told 7 News, adding it doctors discovered it had caused an infection.

Ms Facaris said her daughter never had problems with earrings in the past, but she doesn't plan on putting any earrings on her anytime soon.

"I'm leaving them natural and due to the severity of the infection I'm letting her holes close up."

News.com.au has reached out to Chanelle Facaris and Kmart for further comment.

It caused the young girl to develop a painful ear infection. Picture: Facebook/KmartMums
It caused the young girl to develop a painful ear infection. Picture: Facebook/KmartMums

IN COURT: Full list of 35+ people in Bowen court today

premium_icon IN COURT: Full list of 35+ people in Bowen court today

Each week a list of people appear in the Bowen courtroom, for a range of different...

Supervisor allegedly skipped key safety aspects

premium_icon Supervisor allegedly skipped key safety aspects

One company and three men have been charged over the death of Connor Milne at a CQ...

’Hard slog’: A new rescue boat confirmed

premium_icon ’Hard slog’: A new rescue boat confirmed

QCoal donation was the ‘boost’ that VMR needed to finally secure a new boat for...