Man stung by cone snail while walking at Whitehaven Beach

UPDATE:

A 25-year-old man was stung by a cone snail, CQ Rescue confirmed.

At the time of the incident the young man, who was a crew member aboard a tourist vessel, was walking barefoot in shallow water when the cone snail harpoon penetrated his skin.

The cone snail venom can be extremely painful causing localised pain, swelling, vomiting, and in severe cases muscle paralysis, vision impairment, respiratory failure, and can be fatal.

EARLIER:

The patient was transferred from the anchored vessel by inflatable boat to the RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter that had landed on a narrow patch of sand at Tongue Bay, a remote part of Whitsunday Island.

THE RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter crew have been tasked to attend to a person on a vessel who may be suffering respiratory failure.

A spokesman said they are en route to a catamaran north of Whitehaven Beach, in an isolated part of Whitsunday Island.

More details to come.


Coral research educational facility plans gaining traction

Coral research educational facility plans gaining traction

Funding push on for coral research educational facility.

Fined after 'moving car'

Fined after 'moving car'

Man caught driving at more than twice the legal limit.

Vandals push over toilets

Vandals push over toilets

Market-goers left without toilets today.