Man stung by cone snail while walking at Whitehaven Beach

UPDATE:

A 25-year-old man was stung by a cone snail, CQ Rescue confirmed.

At the time of the incident the young man, who was a crew member aboard a tourist vessel, was walking barefoot in shallow water when the cone snail harpoon penetrated his skin.

The cone snail venom can be extremely painful causing localised pain, swelling, vomiting, and in severe cases muscle paralysis, vision impairment, respiratory failure, and can be fatal.

EARLIER:

The patient was transferred from the anchored vessel by inflatable boat to the RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter that had landed on a narrow patch of sand at Tongue Bay, a remote part of Whitsunday Island.

THE RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter crew have been tasked to attend to a person on a vessel who may be suffering respiratory failure.

A spokesman said they are en route to a catamaran north of Whitehaven Beach, in an isolated part of Whitsunday Island.

More details to come.


Airlie Beach Race Week in 2018 surpasses all expectation

Airlie Beach Race Week in 2018 surpasses all expectation

Airlie Beach Race Week in 2018 surpasses all expectation.

Hook-up an island squid on your jig

Hook-up an island squid on your jig

Hook-up an island squid on your jig.

Water police on the hunt for sailing kayak

Water police on the hunt for sailing kayak

Water police on the hunt for sailing kayak.

Local Partners