Crews were called to a rural Agnes Water property after a gas bottle exploded in a garage.
Crews were called to a rural Agnes Water property after a gas bottle exploded in a garage.

Agnes gas explosion sparks multiple fires

A GAS explosion in an Agnes Water garage caused three small fires in bushland yesterday afternoon.

Emergency services were called to Masthead Dr at 4.15pm after reports a gas bottle had exploded at a rural property.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said three crews arrived at the scene and found a fire in a six-by-six metre garage with garden supplies inside it.

She said crews extinguished the fire inside the shed, but later discovered three additional fires in surrounding bushland.

She said the explosion from the gas bottle caused the fire to spread outside the structure.

The scene was declared safe at 5.50pm after all fires were extinguished and a gas examiner was called in.

The gas bottles were left in the hands of the owner to dispose of.

Queensland Ambulance Services were on scene but no patients required treatment.


WHAT’S ON: Australia Day events around the Whitsundays

Premium Content WHAT’S ON: Australia Day events around the Whitsundays

Bite into a snag, sip on a cold beer, take in live music and more on January 26.

Bloomsbury dad loses $140K job after drunken ute crash

Premium Content Bloomsbury dad loses $140K job after drunken ute crash

His former employer owned the car he smashed into a fence while more than three...

37 new citizens set to be officially welcomed to Whitsundays

Premium Content 37 new citizens set to be officially welcomed to Whitsundays

Mayor Andrew Willcox has spoken about the significance of citizenship ahead of the...