Australian alleged would-be terrorists stopped from travel

SEVEN young Australians were prevented from leaving the country last week on suspicions they were headed to the Middle East to join terrorists.

Speaking to reporters in Canberra on Thursday, Prime Minister Tony Abbott praised the work of counter-terrorism units at airports and said the cases underlined why the government was determined to fight Islamic State.

"This indicates the continuing allure of this death cult," Mr Abbott said.

"It shows the importance of the most vigorous action, at home and abroad, to disrupt, to degrade, to destroy this menace to the freedom and the security of the world."

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton told the ABC a group of five was stopped at Sydney International Airport on August 12.

"That follows a number of people who have been off-loaded by the counter-terrorism unit officers, in particular in Sydney and Melbourne, over a period of time," Mr Dutton said.

"Obviously, particularly where investigations are ongoing, we are not going to provide a running commentary in relation to that."


Hollywood movie to be filmed in Whitsundays

Premium Content Hollywood movie to be filmed in Whitsundays

The project will bring two Academy Award winners to the region and create more than...

Whitsunday landmarks may be stripped from heritage register

Premium Content Whitsunday landmarks may be stripped from heritage register

Three Whitsunday landmarks could be removed from the heritage register if a motion...

New $1m cash splash to pay visitors to see the Reef

Premium Content New $1m cash splash to pay visitors to see the Reef

Queensland government offers more cash incentives for visitors to Great Barrier...