Another sugar industry injury
A PROSERPINE Sugar Mill employee has had several operations after sustaining a serious arm injury at the mill last Thursday.
This was the second sugar cane industry accident in this region within a week.
The previous accident involved a cane locomotive at Kelsey Creek.
Proserpine Sugar Mill CEO John Power said yesterday that the man injured at the mill fell from a height and the mill was conducting an internal investigation into the incident.
“We are committed to the health and safety of our people and want to ensure there is not a repeat of this incident,” Mr Power said.
“We are co-operating fully with Workplace Health and Safety Queensland and are providing our full support to the injured employee and his family at this difficult time,” he said.
Doctors have indicated that it would be several weeks before they could assess the full extent of the injuries and whether operations had been successful, according to Mr Power.
Meanwhile, the Strathdickie man who was injured by a cane locomotive has thanked family and friends for their support while in Mackay Base Hospital.
Andrew MacDonald, a 48-year-old father of two boys, said the concern shown had been heart-warming.
Mr MacDonald has undergone three operations at Mackay Base Hospital.
“My index finger on my left hand was severed and they sewed it back on; my left leg is broken and badly cut; and my right foot has several fractures because basically the wheel went over that foot,” he said last week.
“I have wheel marks and gouges on that foot.”
Mr MacDonald remains in hospital in a stable condition.