Irukandji stings Welsh tourist
By James Perkins
A TOURIST from Cardiff in Wales was stung by an irukandji jellyfish while snorkeling off Hayman Island on Tuesday night.
The man, 31, was wearing a stinger suit at the time, but was stung on the neck. Nurses on Hayman Island took care of the man while they awaited the assistance of the RACQ-CQ Rescue helicopter.
The helicopter arrived on Hayman at 6.05pm and intensive care paramedic Trevor Clarke and careflight doctor Mark Shirran administered a magnesium treatment which quickly stabilised the man.
Mr Clarke said the magnesium treatment for irukandji sting had been on trial in Townsville for a few years and was now the front line treatment for the sting.
"It works very well, stabilises (the patient) quickly," he said.
The man is currently in a stable condition in intensive care at the Mackay Base Hospital.