AFTER four years out of the game, former player Sandor Earl could be set for an unlikely return to the NRL.
The 27-year-old hasn't played in the competition since 2013 after he was banned for using and trafficking performance-enhancing drugs.
Earl spent time working at a gym in Thailand following his ban, but he has now moved to Melbourne where he's looking to open a F45 Training centre.
His suspension ends on August 29 and the Melbourne Storm have confirmed they'd be interested in picking him up, which means he could very well play in round 26 and this year's final series if needed.
"We haven't said yes or no but he's based in Melbourne and we'll definitely have a chat," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi told The Daily Telegraph.
"Look, we're probably more looking at him for 2018 but you never say never."
As Earl is not currently tied to any NRL club, he would be able to sign with a franchise after the June 30 deadline in the same manner as Jarryd Hayne when he returned from NFL and rugby sevens bids last year.
Earl took to social media on Friday to say it would be a "privilege" to play in the NRL again.
"Nothing confirmed with any NRL teams as of yet," he wrote on Facebook.
"I am working hard everyday to put myself in the best position.
"It will be a privilege to be apart of any NRL club and it's an honor (sic) to be mentioned in the same breath as a club like the Storm.
"Everything will unfold as it is meant to!"
Earl made his NRL debut back in 2009 for the Roosters before joining Penrith the following year.
He spent three years at the foot of the mountains where he made 16 appearances.
In 2012, he joined Canberra and hit his straps, scoring 17 tries in 29 games.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.