Police cleared of Beck interference

Valmae Fay Beck is escorted by police after the murder of 12 year old schoolgirl Sian Kingi.
Valmae Fay Beck is escorted by police after the murder of 12 year old schoolgirl Sian Kingi. Sunshine Coast Newspaper Company

QUEENSLAND'S coroner has rejected claims police interfered to keep a notorious child killer alive against her wishes following a heart attack.

In his findings into the death of convicted murderer Valmae Beck, also known as Fay Cramb, Coroner Michael Barnes ruled there was no evidence of police interference in the inmate's treatment.

Beck's sole friend and next of kin Stephanie Gunton this week told the inquest medical staff at Townsville Hospital told her they had been ordered to keep her alive so she could be interviewed by police in relation to a number of unsolved crimes.

However, Mr Barnes said he was confident after hearing evidence from doctors and police that no such order was given.

"[Also] I am confident that had there been any attempt to influence the course of Ms Cramb's treatment by police, it would have been met, properly, with an indignant refusal and complaint," he said.

Related: Beck showed 'remorse' over Sian

Convicted murderer Valmae Beck was admitted to Townsville Hospital suffering from heart failure on May 5, 2008, but was stabilised by medical staff even though the inmate had told her next of kin she did not want to be resuscitated.

Beck, who changed her name to Fay Cramb during her 20-year stint in Queensland prisons, was convicted along with her then husband Barrie Watts over the 1987 rape and murder of 12-year-old Sunshine Coast girl Sian Kingi.

Lawyer Catherine Cuthbert, representing prisoner rights group Sisters Inside, told the court Beck was a hated and reviled prisoner who "faced abuse on a daily basis".

Beck died in hospital on May 27 after her sole friend and next of kin Stephanie Gunton was able to outline her wishes to doctors.

Coroner Michael Barnes on Thursday told the inquest he intended to make a finding that staff at Townsville prison had failed in their responsibility to ensure Ms Gunton was part of any decision-making regarding the inmate's treatment.

"It's clear that corrective services authorities failed to comply with their own policies and probably with the law," Mr Barnes said.

Ms Gunton was not contacted until a day after Beck was admitted to hospital, by which time doctors had inserted a wire into her pacemaker to keep her alive.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Whitsundays wins at Australian Tourism Awards

Ocean Rafting takes the gold in the Major Tour and Transport Operator category at the 2018 Australian Tourism Awards.

Best in the tourism business, Whitsundays wins gold .

Airlie Beach PO boxes on the move to Jubilee Pocket

Airlie Beach post office boxes situated at the Whitsunday Shopping Centre will move to Jubilee Pocket.

Cannonvale PO boxes on the move to Jubilee Pocket.

Sharks, sharks and more sharks

DOUBLE HOOK-UP: Japanese fishing guru Takuma Hata reels in the big barra at Lake Proserpine at the weekend with ABT champion angler Craig Griffiths.

Sharks, sharks and more sharks.

Local Partners