Business re-opens after fire

A MASSAGE room at Happy High Herbs in the Beach Plaza arcade on the Esplanade caught fire at about 11pm on Monday night but it was cleaned up and open for business the next day.

Staff and people staying at the backpackers hostel in the building had to be evacuated while fire fighters brought the blaze under control.

Police said a heating lamp may have been left on and overheated which caused some towels to catch alight.

There was smoke billowing from the building but only minor damage had been caused.

Owner John Carter said there didn't seem to be any foul play related to the fire.

“We were lucky,” he said.

“If it had been another five minutes later we could have lost everything.”

Fire fighters had to ventilate the shop on Tuesday morning before entry was allowed.

Mr Carter said with a lot of help from other shop owners in the plaza, Happy High Herbs was able to be back open for business quickly.


Sick woman rescued from boat off Whitsunday coast

premium_icon Sick woman rescued from boat off Whitsunday coast

WATCH: RACQ CQ Rescue crew’s epic missions to keep rural residents and boaties safe...

Mystery behind washed up boat at Shute Harbour solved

premium_icon Mystery behind washed up boat at Shute Harbour solved

Police were called to Shute Harbour this morning after an unattended boat was found...

REVEALED: Whitsunday postcodes propped up by JobKeeper

premium_icon REVEALED: Whitsunday postcodes propped up by JobKeeper

New data shows how many businesses across the region are reliant on JobKeeper as...