Child, 4, bashed in 'cowardly' act

A 28-YEAR-OLD man faces a possible jail term for a “cowardly” attack in which he punched and kicked a young boy because the four-and-a-half-year-old was talking at bedtime.

The man, who cannot be named, appeared for sentencing in the Rockhampton District Court yesterday after pleading guilty to a charge of assault occasioning bodily harm for the attack on the child.

Judge John Newton adjourned sentencing until next Thursday so he could be supplied with evidence of the man’s mental state.

Crown prosecutor Joshua Phillips said the man was in a relationship with the boy’s mother on April 8, 2007, when the assault occurred.

He had been watching television with the child and his former partner when he sent the boy to bed and told him not to talk to his brother.

When he heard the child speaking he went into the bedroom and told him to go to the lounge and put his hands on his head.

He then repeatedly asked the boy why he talked to his brother and when not satisfied with the answer backhanded the boy and then punched and kicked him.

The boy received bruising to the left side of his face, a bleeding nose and suffered from irregular breathing.

The mother reported the attack a few days later to police.

Mr Phillips said the assault “demonstrates real cowardice” and asked for a sentence of 18 months in prison.


Don't miss out on local news: $1 a week for first 12 weeks

premium_icon Don't miss out on local news: $1 a week for first 12 weeks

Deal gives you access to local, regional and metro News sites

WATCH: Whitsunday swimmer to train under Olympic coach

premium_icon WATCH: Whitsunday swimmer to train under Olympic coach

Mikhaila Flint has landed the opportunity of a lifetime that could fast track her...

Women accused of ignoring COVID order during lockdown

premium_icon Women accused of ignoring COVID order during lockdown

Two Bowen-based women fronted court after police allegedly caught them failing to...