Gift givers are on the same page
MUM should get smellies, dad can expect another pair of socks, the teenagers will get an iSomething, but almost anyone can expect a book.
A survey by the Australian Retailers Association shows books are among the top five most popular gift ideas for mums, dad, kids, partners and friends.
Most people will also rely on giving gift vouchers.
As many as 73% of those surveyed said this was their gift of choice.
Electronic gifts were popular with teenagers.
At Maroochydore's Dick Smith, the Amazon Kindle and iPod touch have already walked off the shelves.
Dick Smith employee Matt Boandford said both of these had been sold out for the past week.
Board games also appear to be making a comeback.
Tim Landbeck, of Amazen Maroochydore, said Sequence was the "big game at the moment".
As for toys, the Sylvanian families - animal figurines - are proving popular.
WHO'S GETTING WHAT:
- Books in top five gifts for all age groups
- 73% plan of giving gift vouchers
- 25% of shopper buys "iThings' for teens
- Alcohol and chocolates op two for dad
- Perfume and jewellery top two for mum
- Lego and bikes for young boys
- Toys, dolls and clothes for young girls