Company, directors fined for Sean Scovell's quarry death
A COMPANY and its two directors have been fined after pleading guilty to failing to comply with Australian health and workplace standards - a failure that resulted in the death of 21-year-old man Sean Scovell.
Mr Scovell died in 2012 when he became entangled in a conveyor belt at South Moranbah Quarry.
Magistrate Nerida Wilson said Global Crushers and Spares and directors Stuart Mitchell Wieland and James Andrew Kinross had been contracted by MCG Quarries to design and import conveyer belts.
For two counts of failing to discharge a health and safety obligation, Global Crushers and Spares were fined $30,000 and Wieland and Kinross were fined $15,000 each.
They were also ordered to pay the costs of a Department of Natural Resources and Mines investigation into the death. The company is to pay $20,502.97, Wielend to pay $20,530.47 and Kinross to pay $20,502.97.
"I have determined that of all of the defendants before the court arising from the incident... Mr Kinross and Mr Wieland and their company are least culpable insofar as their criminality," Ms Wilson said.
"However having said that I could not help but observe how absolutely preventable this tragedy was."
Ms Wilson said it was "almost unfathomable" that no one along the line had picked up on the fact a safety guard had not been installed in the conveyer belt, as required by law.
Four defendants, company MCG Quarries and its managers William James McDonald, Tony John Addinsall and Edward Coleman, still face charges.
Nearly four years since Sean Scovell's tragic death
- March 2012: Sean Scovell, 21, begins working as an operator at South Moranbah Quarry.
- June 5, 2012 at 7.10pm: Mr Scovell dies in a conveyer belt accident at work.
- June 16, 2012: Parents Brett and Bonnie Scovell speak of their grief to the media. Mrs Scovell said she regretted the day her son had traded working with his family at their Biggenden Service Station for a job in the mines. "I'm just hurt and lost and as a mother I feel empty," she told The Daily Mercury.
- June 26, 2012: The Daily Mercury reports that at least five major mines in central Queensland lack an on-site safety representative.
- November 28, 2013: Five executives from two companies - Global Crushers and Spares and MCG Quarries - face Moranbah Industrial Magistrates Court, charged with contributing to Mr Scovell's death. The Department of Natural Resources laid a total of 24 charges.
- February 3, 2015: Magistrate Ross Risson dismisses an application by MCG Quarries and its three managers to drop or permanently stay 12 of their combined 15 charges.
- February 22, 2016: Global Crushers and Spares and two of the company directors enter guilty pleas.
- March 31, 2016: MCG Quarries and its three managers still face charges. Their matters have been adjourned to an unknown date in Brisbane Industrial Magistrates Court.