Alex Richmond-Sinclair on the roof of Borallon Correctional Centre.
Alex Richmond-Sinclair on the roof of Borallon Correctional Centre. Ten News

Convicted killer on hunger strike

A CONVICTED killer, who last month staged a roof-top protest at Borallon jail, is now staging a lone hunger strike at Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre.

Alex Richmond-Sinclair, 25, has gone without food since at least April 10 and without water since April 15 because, he claims, he has not received adequate medical treatment for a shoulder injury.

Queensland Corrective Services yesterday said Richmond-Sinclair had been declining food for the past nine days, but denied he had not been given proper medical attention.

Spokesman Ross McSwain said several doctors had examined Richmond-Sinclair’s shoulder and that on April 15 the prisoner was taken to the Princess Alexandra Hospital, where he was booked in for an MRI scan.

“Queensland Health staff told him that there would be a wait of several weeks before he could have the scan, because MRI scans are booked in according to priority,” Mr McSwain said.

“He has then said that he would be refusing to drink water.”

Richmond-Sinclair’s shoulder injury also sparked his roof-top protest at Borallon Correctional Centre, which started on March 22 and continued until March 24.

After somehow climbing on to the roof of the Ipswich jail, the prisoner laid down a large sign which read; “Prisoners get inadequate medical care = torture and severe physical and mental anguish. Adequate health care is not a privilege, it is a duty of care.”

Richmond-Sinclair was moved to solitary confinement at Arthur Gorrie jail following the protest.

An anonymous source yesterday told The Queensland Times that Richmond-Sinclair’s hunger strike began on April 8 – two days earlier than the date confirmed by Queensland Corrective Services.

The source claimed the shoulder injury was caused by an assault which occurred at Woodford Correctional Centre several years ago.

“His shoulder has not improved and he is in pain 24 hours a day. He is unable to do any physical activity,” the source said.

Richmond-Sinclair was moved to the Princess Alexandra Hospital’s security unit on Saturday – more than a week into his latest battle against the prison system.

He remains in observation and was said to be in poor health, but is continuing to refuse food and fluids.

Mr McSwain said the protest would not alter Queensland Corrective Services’ stance on the issue of the medical treatment for prisoners.

Richmond-Sinclair is serving a 12-year sentence for the manslaughter of an inmate at Woodford Correctional Centre in July 2006.


Extra services a welcome stimulus: Chamber

Extra services a welcome stimulus: Chamber

Chamber of Commerce welcomes new flights

Airport terminal on track to open in December

Airport terminal on track to open in December

Work has begun on the passenger terminal expansion

Young golfers savour sweet wins on circuit

Young golfers savour sweet wins on circuit

Proserpine-based Rian Mitchell took out the Division 2 runner-up

Local Partners