Couple lucky to be alive after air conditioner fire in room

A PT Vernon couple is lucky to be alive after an air conditioner caught on fire in the master bedroom of their home.

The close call has sparked a warning from Torquay Fire Station Officer Jason McCoskey who said the couple did not have fire alarms installed.

Officer McCoskey said a woman in her 60s woke up to the smell of smoke just before 11.30pm Monday. 

"They were lucky to have escaped," he said.

"The toxic fumes given off during a fire can cause unconsciousness and lead to death."

Fire crews were at the scene within minutes and contained the blaze to the master bedroom before putting it out completely.

Officer McCoskey said it was a reminder for everyone to ensure they have hard-wired working smoke alarms in their homes. 

To find out more about fire safety or to book your free Safehome click here: www.qfes.qld.gov.au/communitysafety/freeprograms/safehome.asp   

Has a smoke alarm ever saved your life? Join the conversation and have your say below.  


Queen sits alone as William, Harry show surprising unity

Premium Content Queen sits alone as William, Harry show surprising unity

The Queen has farewelled Prince Philip during an emotional funeral

How police will keep cracking down on impaired driving

Premium Content How police will keep cracking down on impaired driving

Impaired motorists are being warned they will be caught as police boost...

Emergency declared after 25 motorcyclists die

Premium Content Emergency declared after 25 motorcyclists die

Police and the government have taken the ‘extraordinary step’ of warning 220,000...