A man is accused of photographing and sexually assaulting two women in Mackay.
A man is accused of photographing and sexually assaulting two women in Mackay.

Delay in peeping Tom sex assault case

A MAN accused of photographing two women he also allegedly sexually assaulted will have his case mentioned next year following a delay with the brief of evidence.

Mackay Magistrates Court heard the full police brief was due on September 14, but there was still outstanding material involving "sensitive evidence".

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is charged with two counts each of sexual assault and observations or recordings in breach of privacy against two women.

More stories:

Father of seven behind horror animal negligence case

Public masturbator makes freedom bid

Wicked stepmother forces child to sleep in filthy room

INSIDE STORY: How coroner determined who killed Shandee

$280K claim: Future 'model' sues sport club for fall

The alleged offending spanned almost 18 months across 2018 and 2019 in the Mackay region.

Anyone convicted of sexual assault faces up to 10 years jail, while observations or recordings in breach of privacy carries a maximum of three years jail.

When Magistrate Damien Dwyer questioned why the brief of evidence was not ready by the due date, the court heard the delay was linked to photographs subject to the charge.

Prosecutor Chelsea Pearson said the outstanding material related to an analysis of a computer in relation to images.

Ms Pearson said some images taken from a phone had already been provided to the man's solicitor Jordana Abela, of McKays Solicitors.

Subscriber benefits:

Your daily dose of Harry Bruce cartoons

Five ways to get more from your digital subscription

Daily puzzles and Sudoku another reason to stay subscribed

We're still here: How to contact your journalists

Under Queensland law anyone charged with sexual assault cannot be named until the case has been committed to the District Court and only if it will not identify any alleged victims.

An extension for the brief of evidence was stretched to December 14.

The court previously heard the man had elected for the case to be committed to the district court.

Matters will be mentioned again in late January.


Coroner finds mine death ‘a tragic accident’

Premium Content Coroner finds mine death ‘a tragic accident’

The 30 year old father died in 2017 when he was fatally struck while removing a...

Bowen man appeals jail term over child sex crimes

Premium Content Bowen man appeals jail term over child sex crimes

He sent ‘d*ck pics’ to two underage teen girls he met on Facebook and had one send...

NAMED: Whitsunday residents in court for drug possession

Premium Content NAMED: Whitsunday residents in court for drug possession

An arrest for public nuisance leads to a cocaine discovery and a search warrant...