Engagement off in fist fight
A LATE night argument has seen an engagement broken off and a man likely to be deported back to the United Kingdom.
The argument broke out around 2am on Sunday, July 3, in Cannonvale, when the 25-year-old man from the UK, got into an argument with his fiancé that ended in a bloody bashing.
The man pleaded guilty to the assault on Monday in the Proserpine Magistrate's Court.
The incident occurred at a friend's house the court was told.The man's boyfriend had gone to a spare room to sleep but the man followed him and started berating him about spending habits.
The partner then put a blanket over his head but the man ripped it off and started to yell.
He threw a phone, which hit his partner in the face. Then he threw their engagement ring, hitting his partner in the nose. A short time later he demanded his partner give him half his money.
The court heard they had shared a bank account but when he was told there wouldn't be any money, the man pinned his partner's knees down and started repeatedly punching him in the face. He then took some money out of his partner's wallet and dared him to call police. The couple, who are both from the UK, were reported to be dating for eight months.
Early hospital reports indicate the partner suffered from severe swelling and bruising in the face and was undergoing a CAT scan.
In a further twist the man's visa was found to have expired after he had already lived in the country for 18 months.
Magistrate Simon Young said it was unlikely the man would be able to return to Australia and described the attack as "vicious". He was sentenced to two months imprisonment, wholly suspended for 12 months.