Expedia ranks the best of the best
ONLINE travel company Expedia.com has announced their Expedia 2012 Insiders' Select rankings, an annual crowd-sourced list of the world's best-reviewed hotels.
Insiders' Select rankings are largely determined by the more than 500,000 Expedia customer reviews received during the course of 2011.
Hotels that consistently deliver value, in the form of competitive pricing, pristine amenities and superior customer service, will see that commitment rewarded in their ranking.
Only 650 hotels from more than 150,000 properties available on Expedia sites are designated as Insiders' Select hotels.
Marrol's Boutique Hotel, a five-star property in Bratislava, Slovakia, topped the 2012 Insiders' Select list, edging Hotel Al Codega of Venice, Italy.
Queensland's Amaroo at Trinity came top in the Australian rankings, positioned at 62 in the top 100.
1. Marrol's Boutique Hotel (5 stars, Bratislava, Slovakia)
2. Hotel Al Codega (4 stars, Venice, Italy)
3. Hotel Royal Corin (4 stars, Costa Rica)
4. Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen (4 stars, Aberdeen, Scotland)
5. Four Seasons Miami (5 stars, Miami, Florida)
6. Madison Hotel Hamburg (4.5 stars, Hamburg/Hanover, Germany)
7. Element Omaha Midtown Crossing (3 stars, Omaha, Nebraska)
8. Sonnenalp Resort of Vail (4.5 stars, Vail-Beaver Creek, Colorado)
9. Taj Lands' End (5 stars, Mumbai, India)
10. Mr. C Beverly Hills (5 stars, Los Angeles, California)
Queensland's Trinity Amaroo, which is a luxury, four-star resort on the Cairns Northern Beaches in the heart of Tropical North Queensland, trumped other Aussie Hotels to first place in the Australian listings and is one of 26 Australian properties included in the worldwide rankings.
Expedia ANZ managing director Georg Ruebensal said Australian hotels have performed well in the 2012 rankings.
"It is interesting to see a Cairns Northern Beach resort top the Australian and New Zealand rankings, ahead of capital city based properties in Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland," he said.
"The Expedia 2012 Insiders' Select rankings revealed a pleasantly surprising set of global results this year, demonstrating the diverse choices customers are clearly seeking when planning their holiday.
"It is nice to see a boutique hotel in Bratislava topping luxury properties in more traditional holiday locations, such as Asia and North America."
Only 35% of the 650 hotels are categorised as "luxury," leaving numerous options for travellers of every style and budget.
In particular, "green/sustainable" hotels had an outsized presence in the final rankings, with nearly 17% of properties (108) meeting that definition. Included on the list are:
- 88 hotels designated as "family friendly";
- 116 "beach hotels" 11 "ski friendly" hotels.
Georg Ruebensal said The Expedia Insiders' Select list gives customers the options and confidence to choose the right hotel for them, based on valued opinions from other holiday makers.
"Whether that is a luxury resort or a beach hotel, our customers can find the best Expedia has on offer from a wide variety of customer-rated properties," he said.