Former council hopeful moves assault case to higher court
A FORMER Whitsunday Regional Council candidate has had an assault charge moved to a higher court.
Heidi Michelle Ward, who unsuccessfully ran for the Division 2 seat at the 2020 Whitsunday council election, is facing seven charges including assault occasioning bodily harm, assaulting a police officer and public nuisance.
When Ms Ward, 47, appeared in Proserpine Magistrates Court, the assault occasioning bodily harm while adversely affected by an intoxicating substance charge was moved up to Mackay District Court.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Jay Merchant said Ms Ward had elected to proceed with an indictment for the charge, meaning the matter would be heard in a higher court and could come before a jury for trial.
Sgt Merchant handed up the prosecution case documents, including statements and exhibits, during the proceedings.
Duty lawyer Elizabeth Smith appeared for Ms Ward, saying they conceded there was a prima facie case and the matter could be moved to the higher court.
Magistrate James Morton told Ms Ward she had been committed to stand trial in the Mackay District Court on a date to be fixed.
Mr Morton told Ms Ward she would have the chance to give evidence and call witnesses.
He asked whether there was anything she wished to say. She declined.
Ms Ward remains on bail and her other charges were adjourned to December 14 for mention.