THE house that stood proudly overlooking the town of Mundubbera for 90 years and was Colleen Whelan's family home, is no more.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Area Commander Gary Channells, accompanied by around 50 firefighters and SES volunteers supervised the burning of the old family home.
The house was becoming a danger to nearby properties and the children who played in the area and it presented as a perfect training exercise for firefighters.
Ms Whelan lived in the house for more than 20 years and said she was very sad to see it go up in flames.
"I remember climbing the big fig tree which is still standing, climbing out the window and moving along the edge to an old tank-stand where I spent many hours reading," she said.
"We had no electricity so we would do our homework by the light of an old kerosene lamp."
The house was bought from the Beutel family in 1925 and moved up the hill where it gained its name of Fairview because of the view over the township of Mundubbera.
The house became home for two Whelan families before it was abandoned in the mid-80s.
Ms Whelan said she moved into the house in the early 50s before the death of her mother.
"My mum and dad with six children moved in with my grandmother who helped raise my brothers and sisters and I," she said.
"The Catholic Church held mass in our home for years before they built the church."
If anyone is in possession of a photograph of the house, the Whelan family would love to have a copy.