Hayman closed until August
HAYMAN Island will be closed from March 6 until August 1.
Hayman will suspend new and existing bookings for the period in order to repair damage caused to the island by Tropical cyclone’s Anthony and Yasi which passed through the region earlier this year.
It was initially considered that the damage caused by the cyclones was largely aesthetic in nature, but subsequent assessments have identified that the restoration works required would result in significant guest impact.
Head of Hotel Investments, Mulpha Australia and managing director of Hayman, Lloyd Donaldson said the work needed to be undertaken was too great to complete with guests at the resort.
“The works will encompass key guest and accommodation areas, activity facilities, essential infrastructure, landscaping and grounds throughout the island,” he said.
“The works required and anticipated disruption to guests means we have no other choice.”
Despite the closure, Mr Donaldson said it was Hayman’s intention to retain all staff throughout the period of closure.
Tourism Whitsundays chief executive Peter O’Reilly said he understood the decision of Hayman’s owners to temporarily close the resort.
“On Hayman it is all about the optimum guest experience and this can hardly be achieved while extensive infrastructure works are taking place,” he said.
“With Hayman being almost due east of Bowen, damage from Cyclone Anthony was worse than the rest of the Whitsunday island resorts and worse than originally estimated by Hayman management.
“We are looking forward to the resort reopening again in August ready for the Whitsundays peak tourist season.”
“We are very pleased to hear that Hayman is retaining its staff across the closure, thereby insuring that its legendary levels of customer service will be in place from day one of the reopening.”