Throat slasher to walk free after just 8 months

HE SLASHED the throat of his partner's brother with a hunting knife, causing a wound that came within millimetres of killing him.

But in less than three months, a Maryborough man will walk free from jail, having already served five months in custody.

The 22-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty in Maryborough District Court to unlawful wounding, two charges of contravening a domestic violence order, driving without a licence and breaching bail.

In June this year, the man went to the Tinana home of his partner despite the fact that a protection order was in place.

The court heard the man had verbally abused the pregnant woman.

The defendant told her to "go get an abortion" and punched the walls and cupboards of the home.

During a second incident, the court heard the man struck his partner in the mouth and in the left eye.

He then drove away from the home in a car, despite the fact that he had been suspended from driving due to a previous offence.

During the time he was away from the home, the woman's daughter called her uncle - the woman's brother - who came to the house to protect his sister and niece, and called 000 for police.

The defendant returned to the home, holding a bottle of alcohol in a brown paper bag in one hand and a hunting knife in the other, and immediately attacked the brother.

"He walked into the room and stabbed him in his neck," Crown prosecutor Susan Hedge said.

The brother punched the defendant to protect himself.

Police arrived and both men were taken to hospital.

The court heard the brother had a 4cm laceration to his neck that required stitches.

The wound exposed a muscle in the man's throat and came within 10mm of the carotid artery which, if severed, could have killed him.

The man already had a suspended sentence of six months hanging over him from a previous conviction.

The court heard the man had been convicted of dangerous driving, relating to an incident of hooning in which he had crashed a car, leaving three passengers in the vehicle with serious injuries.

Judge Michael Noud said he would impose the suspended sentence but make it concurrent, with a head sentence of three years for the unlawful wounding.

Defence barrister Paul Rutledge said his client knew he had a problem and was seeking help.

Mr Rutledge said his client had job prospects and had been distressed at the time after his partner had suffered two miscarriages.

A parole release date was set for February 25.


Extra services a welcome stimulus: Chamber

Extra services a welcome stimulus: Chamber

Chamber of Commerce welcomes new flights

Airport terminal on track to open in December

Airport terminal on track to open in December

Work has begun on the passenger terminal expansion

Young golfers savour sweet wins on circuit

Young golfers savour sweet wins on circuit

Proserpine-based Rian Mitchell took out the Division 2 runner-up

Local Partners