Hungry Jacks under fire for playground accident
NANETTE Bingham was hit with a whopping big shock when her two-year-old daughter was left with a nasty gash following a visit to Hungry Jack's Morayfield.
The mother of two was watching on as her toddler took a fall and bumped her head on what Nanette describes as "bumpy metal" on the playground's first story.
She and her daughter were "covered" in blood as the wound opened up, much to the horror of her twin sister, who was also playing at the time.
"She slipped and I heard her yell," Nanette said.
"When my partner grabbed her, we just thought it'd just be a bruise from banging her head on plastic or rubber. "My partner lifted her head and there was a gaping big wound. She's only two years and seven-months-old and she had this 2cm long gash.
"The shock was just incredible; no way did we think you could even do that on a playground.
"Customers were handing us napkins to stop the bleeding - there was so much blood for a little girl -she had it all over her and we had it all over our clothes."
Now the mother of two has started a petition to have metal removed from all Hungry Jack's stores.
Hungry Jack's didn't say whether there is metal on any of its playgrounds, but assured customers their playgrounds were up to standard.
"The safety of children and all of our customers is of utmost importance to Hungry Jack's," a spokeswoman said.
"Following the incident, Hungry Jack's commissioned an independent organisation to undertake a safety review of the playground at its Morayfield restaurant.
"The report found no hazard and confirmed that the playground complies fully with safety regulations."
The mother of two said she wasn't satisfied with the response and has started a petition to remove metal from all Hungry Jack's restaurants.
"To hear that is extremely concerning to me because of the level of the injury - we had to monitor the child's head injury for 24 hours and we slept in her room to make sure she didn't vomit," she said. "There will we be more (injuries); that's why I started the petition."
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland is aware of the incident and is making enquiries.