Menu
News

Worker injured in train accident

THE man injured in a sugar cane rail crash on the weekend is recovering in hospital.

The 48-year-old man is in a stable condition after being crushed by a full 10-tonne cane bin on Saturday night.

Proserpine Sugar CEO Mr John Power said it appeared that some full cane bins somehow became disconnected from the train and rolled down the track on their own for about 400 metres before hitting the stationary train.

It is believed that the incident occurred when the man was washing his hands near the front of the stationary locomotive.

When the bins hit the train the man was dragged along the ground for about 12 metres.

His leg was broken and he sustained lacerations to his foot and one finger.

The Queensland Ambulance Service took him to Proserpine Hospital and he was later transferred to Mackay Base Hospital where he is still being treated.

Proserpine Police and Proserpine Sugar Mill officials are investigating the incident, which happened at Kelsey Creek about 10pm.

Mr Power said the Proserpine Sugar Mill was focused on assisting the man and his family as he starts his recovery.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Airshow to be part of runway dinner

DONE DEAL: Paul Bennett and airport owner Ross Armstrong shake hands over the new airshow deal for next year.

Airshow to be part of runway dinner.

Local young-gun aims high after meeting heroes

INSPIRING TALENT: Jack Miller, Harry Maxwell, Max Whale and Kayden Downing in Proserpine last weekend.

Local Aussie Champ has sights set high ahead of Brisbane Cup

Look out for the Whitsunday's rising motor sport star

Hunter Penhallurick at a test day at Phillip Island last month.

Local teen Hunter Penhallurick has been sponsored to race nationally

Local Partners