Inquest examines medical treatment leading up to man’s death

A CONCRETER was assessed at a worker's camp medical office near Roma and died within hours after being discharged.

The cause of Glenn Richard Newport's death is still unclear and an inquest was held at Brisbane on Thursday and Friday to investigate how the man died and whether his medical treatment was adequate.

In January 2013 Mr Newport, 39, was working at a GLNG project site during pre-construction work outside of Roma on a very hot day when he started feeling unwell.

He was taken to the work site's medical centre where a paramedic and registered nurse assessed him during about a two-hour period.

Mr Newport was sent back to his donga and a few hours later he collapsed and was rushed to hospital.

In the ambulance on the way to Roma Hospital he had a heart attack and died.

Clinical medical experts believe Mr Newport died from dilutional hyponatremia that occurs when a person becomes over hydrated and their levels of electrolytes are not in proper balance. This can occur in marathon runners if they drink too much while running.

One of the main doctors who examined Mr Newport's body died in the MH17 crash and other experts were called in to assist with this inquest.

During Friday's hearing, paramedic Ed Davies and registered nurse Colin Filippi, who assessed Mr Newport at the camp, said Mr Newport's vital signs were normal when they assessed him between 4-6pm that day.

Mr Newport was pronounced dead when he arrived at Roma Hospital at about 10.30pm.

The inquest heard the camp's paramedic and nurse thought Mr Newport was dehydrated, based on urine samples they collected from him and because he was thirsty, and gave him water to drink and watermelon to eat.

Mr Davies said Mr Newport refused to get his blood pressure taken when they assessed him and Queensland Coroner John Hutton quizzed him about this.

"He's unreasonable refusing a normal medical procedure, he's feeling dizzy and tired. Don't all those things go together that say, hang on, something neurological is going on here?" Mr Hutton asked.

Mr Davies said Mr Newport did not act unreasonably or refuse other tests, including temperature or pulse readings.

"All his other behaviour was rational," Mr Davies said.

It is expected the inquest findings will be delivered sometime early next year.


Man suffers head injury in Airlie Beach assault

Premium Content Man suffers head injury in Airlie Beach assault

Police investigating after two men punched in the nose.

Euthanasia could stop Labor forming minority government

Premium Content Euthanasia could stop Labor forming minority government

Katter’s Australian Party leader Robbie Katter, whose party could play a decisive...

Maccas kicks off ‘crucial’ McHappy Day fundraising

Premium Content Maccas kicks off ‘crucial’ McHappy Day fundraising

The Ronald McDonald House Charities supported 158 Mackay and Whitsunday families...