FIRE DAMAGE: A house fire in Cannonvale started after the owners left a first aid kit sitting on the kitchen stove top that was turned on. Photo Contributed
FIRE DAMAGE: A house fire in Cannonvale started after the owners left a first aid kit sitting on the kitchen stove top that was turned on. Photo Contributed

Kitchen fire causes minor damage

A FIRST aid kit left on a switched on stove hot plate caused the kit to catch fire in a house at Banksia Court in Cannonvale on Monday afternoon.

No one was home at the time but smoke from the fire triggered the smoke alarm that alerted neighbours to the fire.

Fire fighters and police were quick to arrive at the scene and put out the fire that caused minor flame and smoke damage to the house.

Airlie Beach Fire Station officer in charge Cameron Corneal said because the house had a smoke alarm fire fighters could get to the scene quickly before too much damage was caused.

"Obviously smoke alarms work and this fire is a timely reminder to families about electrical safety at Christmas time," he said.

"All electrical items should also be checked by a licensed electrician.

"Smoke alarms should be checked that they are also in working condition because they provide early warning of a fire situation."

Officer Corneal said people needed to ensure they have smoke alarms installed in bedrooms during the summer when people rely more on air-conditioning and close bedroom doors to keep the cold air in.

"It's important people have smoke alarms in each bedroom that are interconnected to the rest of the house so that if a smoke alarm activates somewhere in the house when they are asleep in an air-conditioned room with the door shut they will still hear it when activated," he said."

The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service recommend people install Photoelectric type smoke alarms and that they are cleaned monthly with the battery changed annually.

Hard wired smoke alarms also contain a battery back up that requires changing annually.

The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service also offer free Safehome visits by fire fighters who offer advice and check locations of smoke alarms.

For more information about the safety of your home, visit

www.fire.qld.gov.au or call 1300 369 003.


Bowls results: Handley through to two finals

premium_icon Bowls results: Handley through to two finals

Check out the news from the Proserpine and Wangaratta bowls clubs.

Big announcement moves Whitsunday swimmer closer to Olympics

premium_icon Big announcement moves Whitsunday swimmer closer to Olympics

Mikhaila Flint has landed the opportunity of a lifetime that could fast track her...

Five players to watch in new-look Magpies Crusaders

premium_icon Five players to watch in new-look Magpies Crusaders

With just nine NPL regulars remaining in Mackay, coach Tom Ballantyne has looked to...