Man dies instantly after shooting firework from top of head

A 22-YEAR-OLD man has died after he set off a fireworks mortar from the top of his head.

Devon Staples was celebrating the Fourth of July with friends in Calais, Maine, when he placed a reloadable motor tube on his head, set it off and died instantly.

Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, told the Bangor Daily News that Mr Staples had been drinking alcohol and that explosion immediately caused a fatal head injury.

"When he suggested he was going to do this, his friends gathered around him and they thought they had convinced him not to do it," he said.

However, the victim's brother Cody Staples refuted multiple reports, telling the New York Daily News that the incident was "a freak accident."

"It was a freak accident. Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."

The incident marks the first reported death in a fireworks accidents in Maine since their legalisation in 2012.

According to the Associated Press, state fire marshals were investigating several other fireworks accidents involving injuries in Friendship, Jefferson, Lebanon and Woodstock. Officials said the accidents mostly involved burns and minor eye injuries.


Bowen cop accused of interfering in police investigation

Premium Content Bowen cop accused of interfering in police investigation

The 32-year-old constable, who is also charged with five counts of computer misuse...

Man injured after ute rolls, hits pole off Bruce Highway

Premium Content Man injured after ute rolls, hits pole off Bruce Highway

The crash happened on the Bruce Highway just before midnight.

Queensland border to open to Victoria from December 1

Premium Content Queensland border to open to Victoria from December 1

Qld borders reopening sees state set for $600m windfall