Man with no name finally able to roam free

A SOUTHERN Downs man who spent months behind bars because he refused to identify with his given name is finally free.

In run-ins with police over a nine-month period, Spring Creek's Paul Nathan Hood had refused to provide his particulars, claiming his name did not belong to him.

He had told police that he was a living soul and did not have a name, claiming only a corpse could be made to go to court.

When he finally faced Warwick Magistrates Court yesterday on 16 charges, his resistance to providing his name or particulars continued.

The charges related to incidents that occured between November 22, 2014, and July this year.

They included six contraventions of police directions, four failures to provide a breath specimen for analysis, two driving while suspended, using a vehicle without a number plate attached, and failing to appear in court.

Mr Hood had refused to provide police with his particulars despite numerous warnings.

Asked by Magistrate Graham Lee in Warwick Magistrates Court yesterday to confirm his correct name, Mr Hood said that his name did not belong to him.

"It was a gift from my mother so is it really mine?" he asked. As each charge was read to Mr Hood, he responded with: "Guilty to the charge and guilty to legal fraud and identity theft."

Mr Hood then told the court he was pleading guilty under duress.

"It is using an identity that is not mine," he said.

"I really don't think it's under my own free will.

"I don't agree but will go along with it."

Mr Lee then rejected Mr Hood's plea of guilty.

After a short adjournment, Mr Hood told the court that he had come of his own volition and spoke for himself when pleading guilty. Mr Lee then accepted his pleas.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Ken Wiggan said Mr Hood had failed to provide his particulars to police on several occasions, citing his beliefs.

"Mr Hood said that he does not recognise his name or the Crown," he said.

Sgt Wiggan said Mr Hood told police he "did not stand under the Crown" and wouldn't state his correct name as he would be committing fraud.

Mr Hood also told police he had removed the registration plates from his vehicle due to his beliefs.

"Mr Hood said he is licentious, that is immoral, deprived of conscience," Sgt Wiggan said.

Mr Hood had been in custody since July after failing to appear in court for a second time, spending a total of 135 days in custody.

Sgt Wiggan asked the court to take that into account when sentencing as the likely penalty would not have been in this vicinity had the matter been dealt with early.

Mr Lee handed down mandatory disqualifications with convictions recorded.

Topics:  name southern downs warwick warwick magistrates court

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Athletes set to hit the ground running this year

FUN FOR ALL: Children and families were a big part of the 2017 Airlie Beach Running Festival last year.

Athletes set to hit the ground running this year.

Whitsundays wins at Australian Tourism Awards

Ocean Rafting takes the gold in the Major Tour and Transport Operator category at the 2018 Australian Tourism Awards.

Best in the tourism business, Whitsundays wins gold .

Airlie Beach PO boxes on the move to Jubilee Pocket

Airlie Beach post office boxes situated at the Whitsunday Shopping Centre will move to Jubilee Pocket.

Cannonvale PO boxes on the move to Jubilee Pocket.

Local Partners