New footage adds pressure to release Manus Is riot report

PRESSURE is building on the Abbott government to release a report on the Manus Island riot that left an asylum seeker dead, after startling footage of security guards attacking detainees emerged on Tuesday.

The footage, obtained by Fairfax Media, shows local Papua New Guinean guards attacking asylum seekers that tried to leave after being told they would not be resettled in Australia.

It also follows revelations from a former G4S Security guard who warned the centre was a "tinderbox ready to ignite" as early as November last year.

The guard, Paul Skillen, sent emails to a Senate inquiry into the February riots at the Manus Island detention centre revealing his concerns of failures in training of PNG guards.

He wrote on November 24 to senior G4S officers of his concerns the centre and its training programs were "woefully unprepared for any incident".

"Although the PNG nationals are very keen, we are subjecting them to a higher risk position with no previous experience and only limited training to do so," the email reads.

Three days later, Mr Skillen again raised his concerns, following a "hanging attempt", and highlighted a lack of "basic scene preservation" after the suicide attempt at the centre.

"There was little control over who was entering to what was essentially a potential crime scene," he wrote of the November hanging attempt.

"If we are unlucky enough to have a death in custody, we may all end up before a PNG coroner, and these simple steps would assist us and PNG constabulary."

The latest revelations prompted both Labor and The Greens to call for the immediate release of the government report on an investigation into the death of Iranian asylum seeker Reza Barati in the February riot.

Labor's immigration spokesman Richard Marles said the final report must be made public "as soon as the government receives it", despite an interim report that has not been released.

The Greens immigration spokeswoman Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said it was time Minister Scott Morrison released the interim report.

Mr Morrison on Tuesday told 2GB Radio that the formal investigation would "find out what there is to be found out".


Bravus shelves plans for Bowen office development

Premium Content Bravus shelves plans for Bowen office development

Plans for a new Bowen Rail Company office that would have employed an extra 50...

What’s next for Mackay ice trafficking case

Premium Content What’s next for Mackay ice trafficking case

They were arrested as part of police operation Romeo Suitcase, which targeted an...

Townsville car thieves now targeting Mackay suburbs: Camm

Premium Content Townsville car thieves now targeting Mackay suburbs: Camm

Whitsunday MP Amanda Camm said the Palaszczuk Government’s amendments to new youth...