A family of six has been gunned down in a brutal massacre, with an unborn baby among the dead. Police have arrested a teenage boy.
A family of six has been gunned down in a brutal massacre, with an unborn baby among the dead. Police have arrested a teenage boy.

Teen murders family including pregnant woman

A teenage boy has been arrested in connection with what police described as a "mass murder" that left six people, including an unborn child, dead and a seventh person wounded.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said that a juvenile suspect had been identified and arrested on Monday morning (US time).

Since the suspect is a juvenile, the department did not release a name.

The teen - reportedly a member of the family - also faces charges of intentional manslaughter with a handgun and attempted murder.

The victims were found riddled with gunshot wounds on Sunday morning at a home on the US city's northeast.

Mother Kezzie Childs, 42, was among the six people shot dead.
Mother Kezzie Childs, 42, was among the six people shot dead.

Those killed have been identified as Kezzie Childs, 42, Raymond Childs, 42, as well as their children, Elijah, 18, and Rita, 13.

Another woman, Kiara Hawkins, 19, was also killed. She was pregnant with a baby boy who also did not survive.

The crime left neighbours shocked and searching for answers.

"To take a whole family out like that … I just don't understand," Vicki Pinkston told WTHR.

Ms Pinkston, who lives across the street from the crime scene, said she recently dropped off a few baby items for the expectant mother.

"I had just given them some stuff from my great-grandson when he was born, but he is bigger now. The baby was due next month," Ms Pinkston said, according to the station.

Kezzie Childs and 13-year-old daughter Rita were among the victims.
Kezzie Childs and 13-year-old daughter Rita were among the victims.

HEINOUS ACT

Police Chief Randal Taylor promised swift justice for the "heinous act".

"Today, we delivered on that promise," he said in a statement.

"While removing the alleged perpetrator of yesterday's mass murder from our neighbourhoods does not bring back the lives senselessly lost, hopefully, it will bring us one step closer to healing as a community."


The mass shooting happened at two separate addresses early on Sunday morning and did not appear to be random, authorities said.

Police first responded before 4am to a report a person had been shot.

That's where officers located a juvenile male with apparent gunshot wounds.

He was transported to an area hospital and is expected to survive his injuries, police said.

Officers later "received information" that led them to another house where five individuals were found with apparent gunshot wounds.

All were deceased, but, because one individual was pregnant, she was transported to an area hospital.

Despite the best lifesaving efforts provided by medical staff, both the female and the unborn child did not survive, the department said.

Police spokesman Aliya Wishner said the juvenile arrested in the killings was not the same juvenile male who was found wounded before the victims' bodies were discovered.

- with Fox News and New York Post

*For 24-hour domestic violence support call the national hotline 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or MensLine on 1800 600 636. 

Originally published as 'Mass murder': Teen shoots family dead


NAMED: Whitsunday residents in court for drug possession

Premium Content NAMED: Whitsunday residents in court for drug possession

An arrest for public nuisance leads to a cocaine discovery and a search warrant...

New foodie event to champion local produce in Proserpine

Premium Content New foodie event to champion local produce in Proserpine

Proserpine business owners are starting a regular farmers market to make fresh food...

Whopping 350L of fuel siphoned from excavator near Bowen

Premium Content Whopping 350L of fuel siphoned from excavator near Bowen

Police say the machinery was locked and secured before it was broken into just...