New footage shows the moment armed fugitives shoot at police
INCREDIBLE video has emerged of the moment two fugitives emerged from a stolen car on a busy Queensland freeway, opening fire at officers.
Nine News broadcast the footage of the shirtless men running toward oncoming traffic on Brisbane's Pacific Motorway and waving a gun at drivers, frantically trying to flag down a car so they could make their getaway.
One of them bounced off the front of a vehicle, the weapon knocked from his hand, giving officers an opportunity to pounce.
The four-hour pursuit - which allegedly involved three cars being carjacked and several shots being fired - began in Caboolture about noon on February 2, 2015.
Police said they approached a stolen red Holden Sedan on Aleiyah St when it allegedly drove at officers, leaving a constable with a broken ankle.
Road spikes brought the car to a halt before the men then allegedly continued their joyride in a hatchback police claim they stole at gunpoint.
Police last week said the pair then allegedly carjacked a mother and her baby.
The accused carjackers allegedly traded cars a third time, taking off in a Mitsubishi sedan and heading south.
A Queensland police helicopter tracked the men as they sped down the Pacific Mwy, veering into oncoming lanes, crossing the median strip and zigzagging through traffic at speeds up to 160km/h.
Police say several shots were fired at officers and other vehicles by the offenders just south of the Tugun bypass, but incredibly no one was wounded.
Bullet holes could be seen on a gold 4WD that was travelling northbound, towing a trailer. One witness said a spent bullet landed on the passenger seat.
A dent from a stray bullet could also be seen on the M1 northbound barrier.
Two other cars were struck by the stolen vehicle and two cars travelling north also collided as they braked for safety. Paramedics treated the motorists at the scene.
The men made it to the Tugun bypass turn-off, where NSW police used road spikes to stop the car about 2.30pm.
Calin McCabe and John Tough will be sentenced in November after pleading guilty to multiple charges over the February 2015 crime spree.