Noosa real estate fraudster sent to jail

FALLEN Noosaville real estate boss Geoffrey James Leadley will spend the next 14 months in jail for stealing from the body corporates he was employed to manage.

The 66-year-old New Zealand national took more than $96,000 from accounts belonging to five property body corporate organisations' accounts between January 2010 and March 2012, Maroochydore District Court on Tuesday heard.

Crown prosecutor Greg Cummings said Leadley was the principal of the RE/MAX Noosaville franchise when he made 64 transactions of amounts between $25 and $10,000.

Nearly $17,000 was transferred back into accounts after being taken, meaning the net loss was $79,031.99.

But the court heard those repayments were made as attempts to conceal the offending rather than genuine restitution.

Defence lawyer Robert Burns said his client's career had taken him to great heights in international commerce and had been able to establish a small business in New Zealand since being charged in 2012.

Mr Burns said there was a real chance of compensation being paid and tendered documents he said showed his client could access an annuity of $700,000.

He asked that the sentence be adjourned so he could pursue the annuity.

Judge John Robertson questioned why it had been left to the very last minute to investigate the possibility of the annuity.

Mr Burns said the annuity had only matured late last year.

Judge Robertson read the documentation before he told Mr Burns it was not sufficient to adjourn the sentence.

"It's a little bit like some of those promises he made to body corporate people back in 2012," Judge Robertson said.

He noted references tendered on Leadley's behalf attested to a man from an excellent background and of otherwise exemplary character.

He said the genesis of Leadley's offending was undoubtedly the financial difficulties he faced running the real estate business.

"This sort of offending requires courts to impose penalties that deter others who may be tempted to steal the money of others..." Judge Robertson said.

Leadley was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail to be released after he had served 14 months.

Judge Robertson told him he would be deported to New Zealand at the completion of his time in prison.

Leadley's wife was allowed to sit in the dock with him at the completion of the sentence and speak with him for a few minutes.

They hugged and kissed before Leadley was led from the court towards the watch house.

How to activate your free Courier Mail subscription

Premium Content How to activate your free Courier Mail subscription

Did you know you can get even more – for free?

Bespoke wedding venue to learn fate at council meeting

Premium Content Bespoke wedding venue to learn fate at council meeting

Developers of a new function centre at Midge Point will today learn if it will go...

Unofficial long weekend sizzles to tune of $300m

Premium Content Unofficial long weekend sizzles to tune of $300m

Final fling of summer tips $300 million into state’s economy