Fire truck, firetruck, file image
Fire truck, firetruck, file image

Pet dog to blame for house fire

THE top floor of a Mangalore house has been destroyed after a pet dog knocked over a burning candle.

Crews from Bagdad, Brighton and Bridgewater attended the blaze on Mountford Drive just before 1pm today.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire on the top floor of the two-storey house.

Tasmania Fire Service said an investigation found the estimated damage to be between $60,000 and $80,000.

"A pet dog has accidentally knocked over a candle that was alight causing a fire," the statement read.

"The owners were at home at the time of the fire, however this is a timely reminder to ensure that lit candles are not left unattended."


Raider #365: Proserpine junior gets NRL call-up

premium_icon Raider #365: Proserpine junior gets NRL call-up

The Proserpine State High School graduate was handed his debut jersey by coach...

Dramatic scenes as 5 arrested outside Airlie's Magnums

premium_icon Dramatic scenes as 5 arrested outside Airlie's Magnums

Four people attempted to stop an arrest outside Magnums with one man arming himself...

REVEALED: How much your councillors spent

premium_icon REVEALED: How much your councillors spent

The previous council’s claims for accommodation, food and travel costs have been...