Cop raid over grandma death
A RAID is underway at the office of the garbage truck company involved in a crash that killed a grandmother who was pushing her grandson in a pram on Sydney's northern beaches last week.
Hane Mathieson, 58, was on Moorilla Street in Dee Why when she was hit and killed by the truck last Thursday, while her 18-month-old grandson was unscathed.
At first light today, NSW Police's Traffic Taskforce began a compliance inspection at the waste management company's site in Five Dock.
"While the matter is now before the court, I can say that today's operation is in direct response to the crash," Commander of the Traffic & Highway Patrol, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said in a statement.
"Today, we will be going over trucks owned by the company with a fine-tooth comb.
"Last week's crash in Dee Why is nothing short of a tragedy. Thankfully, the young child the woman was pushing in a pram was not injured."
Ms Mathieson's daughter arrived at the horrific scene last week to find her mother had been killed but her baby had somehow survived.
Her daughter was at work at a pharmacy when she received a devastating call from police about her mother's death.
"It looked like they'd just been called from work, the father and the mother," witness Catherine Hasler told Channel 7. "It's terrible, it's the last thing you'd expect to happen and get that phone call."
She had been working part-time there for a year, spending the rest of her time raising her child.
Witnesses told the Manly Daily the truck was reversing into the Moorilla St cul-de-sac at the time of the incident.
Aaron Sault said he saw a woman lying unconscious near the back wheels of the garbage truck and there was a toddler in a pram close by.
A 27-year-old garbage truck driver has been charged with dangerous driving occasioning death and negligent driving occasioning death.
"The operation today should serve as a warning to all other companies, that we will inspect your entire fleet if one of your trucks is involved in a serious incident," added Mr Corboy.
"Don't wait until you or one of your drivers gets involved in a serious crash, get your fleet and processes in place now, so that it doesn't happen at all."
The 27-year-old was granted conditional bail and is due to appear in Manly Local Court next month.