Porters Northern Beaches store to close
PORTERS Northern Beaches will shut on Friday.
Porters managing director Gavan Porter senior said due to unprecedented and continued difficult market conditions within the local construction industry, the company is consolidating its Northern Beaches operations back to the Mackay city locations on Brisbane and Carlyle Sts from Friday.
"We have been adjusting to the severe market contraction for some time now, and unfortunately market conditions look to remain challenging for the forseeable future," Mr Porter said.
"Therefore it is no longer sustainable to maintain a second trade focused outlet in the Northern Beaches.
"When we opened the Northern Beaches store in December 2011, there were 102 new housing approvals for the month in the Mackay region. In January, 2016 there were only 10 new housing approvals. These figures speak for themselves."
Mr Porter said it is the company's intent to redeploy as many positions as possible into other areas of the company, however minimal job losses were expected.
"The decision to adjust our business and consolidate the Northern Beaches outlet has not been made lightly. We are making these difficult decisions now in line with our overall strategic direction to secure a positive future for our company and our most valued asset, our staff.
"All stock at the Northern Beaches outlet will be transferred across to other stores within the company and we will be exploring opportunities for our Northern Beaches property.
"Whilst market conditions remain difficult, our company will continue to monitor, evaluate and act in a considered and sensible way to preserve our long and proud history of serving the Mackay community," Mr Porter said.
Mr Porter said the company has the full support of their financial institution and it will be business as usual for the 6 divisions; Mackay City, Brisbane Street, Building and Plumbing Supplies, Carlyle Street, Glenella manufacturing sites and the Whitsunday trade store.
"Over our 133 year history we have weathered difficult times before and together we have come through those periods stronger.
"We believe in the Mackay region and know that market conditions will improve. When they do, we want to be here servicing the hardware and building needs of the community we are proud of.
"I would like to reassure our customers that we are committed to being here long into the future. Yes, times are definitely challenging but you can help us by choosing to shop locally and we will reward you with our friendly, Can Do service that we are so passionate about," Mr Porter said.
Porters was established in 1883 by Charles Porter.
Today the company is run by fourth and fifth generation descendants of the original founder and employs more than 180 local people.
The Northern Beaches store opened in December 2011 with former Broncos player Darren Lockyer at the opening.
Eleven businesses that have closed in 2015-2016.
1. Andergrove Home Hardware - closed June 30, 2015.
2. Gloria Jean's at Mount Pleasant Shopping centre - closed March 30, 2015 (and reopened)
3. Joyce Mayne - closed mid-April, 2015.
4. Eastern Port Yum Cha and Seafood Restaurant - TO CLOSE October, 2016.
5. Mackay Day Spa and Caneland Central WaxPot - closed November 2, 2015.
6. ABC Shop - closed March 22, 2016.
7. Tropical City Takeaway - closed mid-January, 2016.
8. Totally Workwear on Gordon St - closed March 18 as a business downsize. Stock moved to Paget store.
9. Wendy's at Mackay's Sydney Street Markets - closed July, 2015.
10. The Vintage Room - closed January to February, 2016.
Eleven businesses opened in 2015-2016.
1. TJ's WaxPot and Tanning Studio - opened December 4, 2015.
2. Cocoa Mama - opened March, 2016.
3. Fusion 128 - opened February, 2016.
4. Jamaica Blue at Mackay's Sydney Street Markets
5. Woodman's Axe Espresso - opened April 28, 2015.
6. Ma's Pizza Kitcken at Mount Pleasant - opened February, 2016.
7. Melba's Alterations - opened December, 2015.
8. Jamaica Blue at Mount Pleasant Shopping Centre - opened December 15, 2015.
9. Income Tax Professionals at Mount Pleasant Shopping Centre - opened December, 2015.
10. Morgans Fish Markey and Take Away - opened November, 2015.
11. Vintage Kiss Bar-A-Van at Marian - opened March 1, 2016.