A Brisbane couple has been charged over keeping a woman as their slave
A Brisbane couple has been charged over keeping a woman as their slave Claudia Baxter

Qld couple charged over keeping woman as slave

A BRISBANE pair have been charged with human trafficking, after they allegedly forced a 42-year-old Fijian woman to work as their slave for eight years.

The couple's home at The Gap, in Brisbane's west, was raided on July 19.

The 56-year-old man and 46-year-old woman were charged with trafficking a person, causing a person to remain in servitude and allowing an unlawful non-citizen to work.

AFP Victim Based Crime Commander Lesa Gale said the investigation highlighted the reality of human trafficking.

"There are people in our community who are being exploited today and the Australian community needs to be aware human trafficking can happen anywhere. We want victims to know that there is a way out of these terrible situations for them, and that we can help," Commander Gale said.

AFP State Manager Queensland Commander Sharon Cowden praised the outcome.

"I commend the work of our AFP officers who continue to investigate these complex crimes. This result demonstrates the dedication and hard work of our officers in protecting vulnerable members of our community," Commander Cowden said.

The pair had their case mentioned in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday.

It was adjourned to September 22.

The investigation came after information from the Salvation Army was passed on in August last year.

News Corp Australia

‘RIDICULOUS’: Sparks fly over Shute Harbour

Premium Content ‘RIDICULOUS’: Sparks fly over Shute Harbour

A ‘minor’ change could put a spanner in the works of the $50M restoration project.

Parents’ wake up call as obesity and sunburn risks rise

Premium Content Parents’ wake up call as obesity and sunburn risks rise

REPORT CARD: Mackay, Isaac and Whitsunday’s youth recording worrying obesity and...

Hotspot lockdowns not statewide restrictions: Premier

Premium Content Hotspot lockdowns not statewide restrictions: Premier

Annastacia Palaszczuk says decision on opening SA to be made at end of month