AG seeks advice on sentencing
ATTORNEY General Paul Lucas is seeking urgent advice in relation to an appeal on a sentence handed down in Ipswich last week.
A 29-year-old man received five years in prison for the vicious rape and torture of a deaf pensioner 12 years ago.
The man was 16 years and eight months old when he attacked the 58-year-old woman in her own home, raping and bashing her repeatedly before making off with $4.
Ipswich District Court heard the man was finally captured through his DNA in October last year after being arrested for an unrelated crime.
Because the man was a juvenile at the time of the offence, the court could only impose a maximum of 10 years in jail and the man could not be named.
Judge Sarah Bradley ordered the man to serve one third of the five-year sentence.
The man has been in custody since September last year, and with time already served he will be eligible for parole on May 6.
The man pleaded guilty to two counts of rape, one count each of attempted rape, indecent assault, torture, burglary and stealing, two counts of wilful damage and four counts of obstruct or assault police.
Bravehearts research manager Carol Ronken said the sentence was inadequate, shocking and horrific.
"It is frightening to think that people who commit these sorts of crimes of brutality can be back in the community so soon," Ms Ronken said.
"We really hope the Attorney General appeals. We need to ensure when offenders are sentenced it's reflective of the crime they committed."
Ms Ronken said such a short time in prison offered little chance of rehabilitation.
"People who do these sorts of things can't be fixed straight away," she said.
Mr Lucas said if the appeal was appropriate he would have no hesitation in seeking one.
"The matter showed the success of DNA testing in convicting an individual years after an offence was committed," Mr Lucas said.