Runway fun day on the way
KIDS are oiling the wheels of their scooters and Paralympic gold medal winning cyclist David Nicholas is getting his racing gear ready.
On Saturday, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity exists to pedal, scoot and skate your way around the tarmac of the Whitsunday Coast Airport runway.
Aeroplane buffs will also delight in the chance to get into the cockpit of a vintage Russian training plane.
A free community event, the Whitsunday Regional Council's Fun Day on the Runway is a celebration of the commencement of work of the facility's terminal and runway upgrade.
Operations manager at the airport, Tony Schulz, said the event offered the chance to see an R66 turbine helicopter in action.
There will also be an acrobatic performance by CQ Adventure Flights and screening of the animated film Zootopia on a huge inflatable screen.
Mr Schulz said the digging up of the runway at night had meant the airport would be closed.
"The timing is perfect. We have got a special permit called a special event zone and that actually allows the public to get air-side where they normally couldn't,” he said.
David Nicholas will be racing in an event called a kermesse and has enlisted friends from the Mackay Cycling Club to race on a 5km circuit of the runway.
"I am super excited to race on the runway,” he said.
Mayor Andrew Willcox will be on hand to turn the first sod of the airport upgrade on Saturday.
"I encourage all the community to bring their bean bags, rugs and chairs for a great night of family entertainment including a jumping castle, food trucks and face painting,” he said.
The free Fun Day on the Runway will begin at 4.30pm at the Whitsunday Coast Airport on Lascelles Av.
FUN DAY PROGRAM
- 4.15pm 45 minute race begins between David Nicholas and Mackay Cycling Club
- 4.30pm Gates open to the public
- 5pm Cycling presentations
- 5.05pm Community race/fun on the apron with David Nicholas
- 5.30pm Aerobatic performance
- 5.45pm Aerobatic performance finishes
- 6pm Official speech from Mayor Willcox regarding runway and terminal upgrade
- 6.15pm Premiere of Our Whitsunday, Our Utopia
- 6.25pm Announcement of Tigerair $500 voucher winner
- 6.30pm Movie Zootopia commences, introduced by Mayor Willcox
- 9pm Gates close to the public