Casino given RV thumbs up
GREY nomads have given Casino the thumbs up when it comes to facilities for recreational vehicles and now the town’s good reputation with travellers is set to become official.
The beef capital will raise its profile on the RV touring circuit after today’s Richmond Valley Council meeting if councillors agree with a recommendation for the town to become a recreational vehicle-friendly town.
Kamini Wood has been staying at the Casino Village RV Resort for the past three weeks and has spent the past 12 months towing her seven-metre long caravan along the roads of NSW and Queensland.
She agreed Casino had good infrastructure for recreational vehicles.
“It’s by far the best I have come across so far,” she said.
But it wasn’t just the facilities that made the town popular with travellers - it was also the attitude of the people.
“I think they (the people of Casino) have come to realise that visitors in RVs do spend money,” she said.
Casino can be declared an RV-friendly town by the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) if it meets certain criteria. Essential criteria includes:
- Provision of appropriate parking within the town centre;
- Provision of long-term parking at a reasonable rate;
- Access to 24-hour medical facilities;
- Access to a pharmacy;
- Access to potable water; and
- Access to a dump point.
- Other desirable criterion includes:
- A service centre for basic vehicle repairs; and
- A visitor information centre with appropriate parking, which can provide a town map showing essential facilities.
According to the council, the town meets all essential and desirable criteria.
Should the council agree to the proposal, the CMCA will provide the council with suitable signage to be erected at the entrances to Casino.
The signage will be provided at cost price and will indicate that Casino is an RV-friendly town and is sponsored by the CMCA.