Security guard on manslaughter charge after hospital death

THE death of an 81-year-old man in a Queensland hospital has led to a security guard being charged with manslaughter.

The elderly man arrived at Prince Charles Hospital on April 29.

A day later, a 50-year-old security guard attempted to restrain the patient after he had become agitated.

It is understood that the pair fell heavily to the ground during the commotion, and the 81-year-old suffered a fractured skull.

Although he was rushed to Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, he died on May 15.

On Monday, police confirmed a man from Brisbane's Wavell Heights had been charged with manslaughter, and that he would face court.

A spokeswoman for Metro North Health, which includes the Prince Charles Hospital, confirmed an "incident" involving a patient on April 30.

The health service has also launched an internal investigation into the incident, as it does "with any serious matter".

"We offer our sincere condolences to the family for the loss of their loved one," she said.

"As this matter is now before the courts, we are unable to comment further."


‘Common sense has to prevail’: Not giving up on Bowen estate

Premium Content ‘Common sense has to prevail’: Not giving up on Bowen estate

The community leader says he understands Whitsunday Paradise should not come at a...

Marine park authority wades into Keswick Island concerns

Premium Content Marine park authority wades into Keswick Island concerns

George Christensen says GBRMPA will investigate and raise reported breaches with...

You love your local but don’t miss out on even more

Premium Content You love your local but don’t miss out on even more

We know you want the best of local news and we’re delivering, but did you know you...