Seventh COVID-19 patient for Mackay region
ANOTHER person has tested positive for COVID-19 bringing the Mackay region's total to seven.
The most recent two cases are from the Whitsunday region, but are unrelated, bringing the total for that patch to three of the seven.
Last week a patient was being cared for under quarantine at Proserpine Hospital and was the first case for the Whitsundays.
At this stage there has been no local transmission and all seven cases have either been tourists or locals returning home from international travel who then self-isolated prior to becoming unwell.
Contact tracing has either been completed or is underway in relation to each case.
DAWSON MP George Christensen has allayed any fears in the wake of the most recent coronavirus case confirmed today for the Mackay region.
"This seventh case of coronavirus in our community may have some people worried, but what's important to note is that this, like every other case in our community, has been associated with people who have recently been overseas," Mr Christensen said.
"That means there are no known cases of community transmission of the coronavirus in our region."
Mr Christensen said it was important for the public to know that was a very good sign.
"Even better is the fact that of all these cases, apart from Hamilton island incident, people have been self-isolating," he said.
"It seems people are doing the right thing, whether they're people who have just come into the country or people generally in our community, we're limiting the spread of this virus."
Three flights linked to the region remain flagged on Queensland Health's evolving list of public alerts.
These are Emirates flights EK5901 from Brisbane to Mackay on March 18, and Virgin flights VA1115 from Brisbane to Proserpine on March 20 and VA1118 from Proserpine to Brisbane on March 22.
Some passengers on these flights will need to self isolate for 14 days and are urged to contact a doctor immediately if unwell.
It is understood the last five cases linked to the Mackay region were people who had all done the right thing in self-isolating on their return from an overseas trip and on becoming unwell followed the recommended protocols for safe testing, which returned positive results.
The region's first positive case, UK tourist Amy Bowley, defied health orders to self-isolate after being tested for the virus, which has caused a global crisis, in Sydney.
Instead the 37-year-old infected woman flew to one of the county's most premier holiday spots and was found on a beach and Hamilton Island.
She was removed and quarantine at Mackay Base Hospital. On her release she was picked up by Border Force and placed in a detention centre before being booted out of the country.
Her travelling companion, who was removed from the island at the same time, was the region's second confirmed case.