Shark nets pulled from beaches: Shark becomes flood victim
ALL but six shark nets guarding southeast Queensland's most popular beaches have been removed as the big wet hits the region.
The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries removed the nets because of dangerous sea conditions, however, they fear the remaining half dozen nets could cause problems for swimmers and surfers if they break free.
A department spokeswoman said 3.5km of nets had been removed, while 1.1km of netting remained off the Gold Coast at Surfers Paradise, Kurrawa, Mermaid Beach, Burleigh, Tallebudgera and Currumbin.
Contractors removed Rainbow Beach netting on Tuesday before concentrating on the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast yesterday.
The contractors would inspect and replace the nets when it was safe to do so.
All drumlines on the Gold and Sunshine coasts remain in the water.
The department is confident the drumlines and nets can withstand the choppy and rough waters caused by the low-pressure system over southeast Queensland associated with ex-Tropical Cyclone Debbie.
"While it is believed these nets and drumlines will sustain the conditions, there is potential they will come adrift and enter the surf zone," the department said in statement.
"Fisheries Queensland routinely removes shark control nets during rough weather so that they don't become a potential hazard, however in this instance it was not possible to remove them all in order to protect the safety of program staff.
"While efforts are made to anchor the gear, high seas caused by strong winds can cause some gear to become adrift and be a danger to swimmers."
If people see shark control gear including ropes, netting or buoys which has come loose, they should call the Shark Hotline on 1800 806 891.