Menu
News

FIRE WARNING: Sizzle a sausage not your eyebrows

THE perfect weather for grilling a steak and sizzling a sausage is upon us and firefighters are reminding Fraser Coast residents to be safe when they fire up the barbecue.

The warning comes just two days after two Hervey Bay women received a shock when their barbecue caught alight while they were relaxing in their home.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Hervey Bay station officer Neil Probert said the first thing barbecue owners should do was check their gas cylinders when they were being refilled.

"Ensure that is in test date and that it is not damaged," he said.

Mr Probert said before firing up the coals the gas hose should also be inspected.

"If you can bend the hose and cracks open up then you need to get a new pipe," he said.

The firefighter said gas should not be left on for too long before lighting the barbecue as that could cause a flash or explosion.

Mr Probert urged backyard grillers not to forget their pets.

"Keep your pets away - the dogs love the smell and like to be with their owners," he said.

He said fat spitting from the hotplate could cause serious burns to pets.

Finally, he urged all barbecuers to make sure they left the cooking to a sober adult.

Topics:  fraser coast queensland fire and emergency service


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Man threatens to 'break every bone' in partner's body

A man was denied bail at the Proserpine Magistrates Court on Monday after breaching a DV order.

Man threatens to 'break every bone' in partner's body.

Paddy's Day fun at the Reef Gateway

PUMPED UP: Inflatable bar headed for the Reef Gateway Hotel this St Patrick's Day.

Be brave, shave and celebrate St Paddy's Day.

OUTRIGGER TRAWLS ONLINE

TOP PADDLE: OC6 paddlers claim the win at the Takapuna Beach Cup event in New Zealand at the weekend.

It's a perfect match, team who met online takes out win.

Local Partners