Mum oblivious to tiger snake bite, thought it was plastic

LIVING in the heart of Gatton, Rachelle Boekel never thought she'd be bitten by a snake in her own driveway.

The mother-of-five was bitten on the leg but she first thought it was a piece of plastic cutting her leg when a gust of wind blew through.

"I think if I had known it was a snake I would have had a heart attack," she said.

"That's probably what kept me so calm - not knowing." Ms Boekel was outside and the snake came from under a parked car.

"It felt like a McDonald's cup lid had hit my leg," she said.

"I ran after some rubbish, then the pain was terrible, my leg felt hot, stinging and I was in absolute agony."

Luckily for Ms Boekel she was on her way to Ipswich Hospital for her son's appointment where nurses told her it wasn't a spider bite, but a snake bite.

She stayed in hospital overnight and was given anti-venom once doctors determined it was a tiger snake.

Ms Boekel said she had now invested in a pair of long gumboots.


Bravus shelves plans for Bowen office development

Premium Content Bravus shelves plans for Bowen office development

Plans for a new Bowen Rail Company office that would have employed an extra 50...

What’s next for Mackay ice trafficking case

Premium Content What’s next for Mackay ice trafficking case

They were arrested as part of police operation Romeo Suitcase, which targeted an...

Townsville car thieves now targeting Mackay suburbs: Camm

Premium Content Townsville car thieves now targeting Mackay suburbs: Camm

Whitsunday MP Amanda Camm said the Palaszczuk Government’s amendments to new youth...