Menu
News

Suspected overdose at school

Two Kawana Waters State College students were taken to hospital.
Two Kawana Waters State College students were taken to hospital. Cade Mooney

TWO Kawana Waters State College students who reportedly overdosed on drugs were rushed to hospital yesterday.

About 11.40am emergency services were called to the school when the students, a 14-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl, began showing signs of drug use – they were having trouble standing.

The boy was taken by stretcher to the school’s car park and taken by ambulance to the Caloundra Hospital.

About 30 minutes later, the girl was taken to Nambour General Hospital. Both were in a stable condition.

Police swarmed on the school, questioning teachers and students.

Bewildered students looked on as the drama unfolded, baffled by the high police presence and three ambulances on site.

District duty officer, Acting Senior Sergeant Rick Liddy, said it was unknown what drugs the students had ingested.

First reports indicated they had taken ecstasy, however, Mr Liddy said it was more likely they had ingested pharmaceuticals.

“Two students from the school and another youth unconnected to the school have taken some sort of substance,” Mr Liddy said.

“The nature of the substance is not yet known.”

A spokesman from Education Queensland said, after the school was made aware of the incident, the parents of both students were immediately contacted.

“The Queensland Ambulance Service was called as a precautionary measure, and then transported the two students to hospital,” the spokesman said. “Both students were released from hospital soon after admission.”


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Committed to servicing the community

RIBBON CUTTING: Mayor Andrew Willcox opens the new Whitsunday Council service centre at Whitsunday Plaza Shopping centre on Monday February 19, 2018.

Council service centre here to make life easier.

Glam box back again

FRESH CUTS: Stylists Misha Williams, Taylah Bekker, Bek Paterson and owner Adele Katzke at the re-opening of Glambox Indulge at the Whitsunday Shopping Centre on Thursday.

Cannonvale's cut above the rest Glambox Indulge salon re-opens.

Cannonvale house goes up in flames

A house fire at Waite Creek Court in Cannonvale has been contained by the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service.

Cannonvale house goes up in flames.

Local Partners