Tick all boxes to keep pet safe
PET owners have been urged to be vigilant after a surge in tick poisonings on the Sunshine Coast.
Veterinarian Ernie Young, of the Montville Veterinary Clinic and the Sunshine Hinterland Veterinary Clinic, said it was shaping up as a bad season for ticks.
"I've probably seen between 20 and 25 cases in the last month," he said.
Mr Young's warning follows a similar warning by Dogs NSW, which says a mild winter resulted in perfect breeding conditions for the potentially deadly parasites.
Mr Young said the ticks so far this season appeared to be fairly toxic, judging by the cases he had seen.
"We've lost one cat and one dog," he said.
"The majority have been able to get better but they can take five, six or seven days."
Mr Young said one cat on the Range was paralysed for 14 days before she recovered.
Mapleton pet Bella, a small cross-breed, was downed for five days by a tick measuring about 2cm long.
Mr Young said pet owners should check their animals regularly, particularly around the head, neck and ears, for ticks. And he said pet owners should take preventative action by using some of the commercially available flea and tick treatments or collars.
He said symptoms of poisoning could usually be seen within two to five days of a pet picking up a tick, or as long as a fortnight later.
Owners should take note if their pet was off their food, weak or wobbly in the legs, or even howling differently, and should seek veterinary advice, he said.
Cats - Frontline Plus
Dogs - Advantix or collars (see manufacturers' notes)
* Important: do not use Advantix on cats because it can have serious side effects